Mini Vent!

Lounge By SweetSuzieQ Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 4:26pm by SweetSuzieQ

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 12

So, hubby and I were out and about at the start of last week and we ran in to his ex wife and her long time significant other. They tell us that they are getting married on Saturday (a small backyard wedding) and she was sort of hinting around about my cupcakes. Being the person that I am, I offered to do some cupcakes for her as our wedding gift to them. We talked about her colors (green and white) and I asked her to e-mail me something so I could match the green. I had an idea based on what she said but, it's always nice to have a reference sample. I never got anything so, I decided to just do a simple sugar pearl decoration on white icing that would go with any green. (Pic in gallery) I boxed them all up and hubby delivered them Friday night with our little 23 cupcake Wilton stand (that I never use) so she would have something nice to put them on.

She uploaded wedding pics yesterday and, in the hundreds of pics, not a single one of my cupcakes (although she did post a pic of the food and the lopsided and sinking tiered cake her sister made) nor did I receive so much as a quick e-mail or call to say "thanks" or to tell me if everyone enjoyed them. I'm not a petty person by any stretch but, I thought this was just plain rude. She even responded to one of my status updates yesterday (not cupcake or wedding related) so, she was around and online.

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 12

Some people just don't know what it is to be kind.
You went the extra mile to treat them kindly..........hold your head up and 'consider the source'. And maybe, just maybe she will wise up soon and send you sommekind of thank you.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 12

Maybe with her sister making the cake they didnt display your cupcakes because she didnt want to hurt her sisters feelings. I would ask her for your stand back and while talking to her ask her were the cupcakes to her liking.

Overall I wouldnt expect much from her because when people are appreciative they usually let you know on their own.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 12

You're a better person than I that's for sure. Live and learn eh?

SweetSuzieQ Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 12

Well, she knew about the sister making the cake when we talked about the cupcakes and, when I asked her if she would like a stand to display, she said YES so, I doubt that the cupcakes weren't put out!! LOL

cakestyles, when we got into the car after our conversation I said to hubby, "did I REALLY just offer to make cupcakes for your ex-wife's wedding? What just happened here?" LOL And he said, "cuz you are one of those people, you can't help yourself but be nice and giving regardless of the situation" (he's sweet) But, it's true, everyone I told was like, "REALLY??? Why???" HAHAHA

cakestyles Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

cakestyles, when we got into the car after our conversation I said to hubby, "did I REALLY just offer to make cupcakes for your ex-wife's wedding? What just happened here?" LOL And he said, "cuz you are one of those people, you can't help yourself but be nice and giving regardless of the situation" (he's sweet) But, it's true, everyone I told was like, "REALLY??? Why???" HAHAHA

lol We don't have "ex's" but if we did, I'd probably bake them some REAL special cupcakes with my own secret ingredient. lolol

just kidding!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 12

Well first off you must be a Saint.........and it was a nice gesture.

But you said your husband's Ex? Correct?

You said that you offered to make cupcakes and she did not solicit them?

You stated this was a gift?

No reason for her take pictures or to post them if they were a gift. Did you see pictures of other gifts? Perhaps she served the cupcakes at the grooms dinner.......either way, as a gift you cannot tell them how to use it.

Recipients sometimes struggle with the humility required to receive a gift graciously. Couse I'd never, ever expect niceties from an Ex...................that just sounds odd.

Wait for the thank you notes, if you didn't get one than that is truly rude.

JMHO

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 12

I can see why your husband divorced her and married you!

SweetSuzieQ Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 12

I see what you are saying but, in a round about way, she did solicit them. My step son adores my cupcakes and, is always commenting on Facebook. Well, before he left for camp I posted that when he got back, I'd make him a batch all for him and to just let me know which ones he wanted. When we were chatting in the store we ran into each other at, she said, "I told (step-son) to take you up on your offer and ask for them for Saturday so we could serve them at the wedding but, he didn't want to!" So, this was when I offered to make them. It was when we were leaving that I had said, "congrats again and, hope you guys enjoy our "wedding gift".

I didn't have to give her a gift, didn't have to go out of my way and make something for her wedding so, I guess to me, it would have just been nice of her to say "hey, thanks for that". The very same day, I did some Happy 60 cupcakes for an acquaintance (who wanted them for her mom's birthday). It was a bit last minute of an order. She called me as soon as she received them to thank me and to tell me that they looked amazing and, that she was so tempted to dig in instantly. LOL She then called me again the next day to thank me again and to tell me how amazing they were and, how people were approaching her at the restaurant to ask where she had gotten them from etc.

Paid customer - completely over the top gratitude
Free out of the goodness of my heart - ZERO, zilch, nada

Well, we shall see if I get a thank you card but, I won't hold my breath! LOL

cakestyles Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 12

I completely understand what you're saying.

Because I always go out of my way to thank someone when they've done something nice for me I guess I expect the same in return.

Sorry to say I'm disappointed more times than not when it comes to that.

Some people may not have been taught the importance of showing their gratitude in the form of a spoken or written thank you and that's unfortunate.

This girl missed her chance to thank you on your status yesterday, hopefully she'll make up for that with a thank you note.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 6:06am
post #11 of 12

If your husband has children with her, you have to always do the right thing and not complain. Lead by example. No kids, wait for the thank you note. If no note, oh well...

SweetSuzieQ Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 12

Yup, that's why I'm venting here instead of on Facebook where she and the kids could read it! Hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%