Probably Old News About Wilton Leveler

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 3:51am by lorenaortegarox

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I've seen alot of posts about dislikes using the wilton leveler. I don't know what everyones reasons are but mine are that It doesn't level even. One side is always higher. Well for those of you that haven't thought of this I tried holding the leveler on the left side of the cake. (I'm left handed) See sawing it back and forth side to side but also turning both ends around the cake. 2 Cakes came out wonderfully level!!!
Before I would place the cake in front of me on the counter , then put the leveler above it and saw it back and forth towards me. Know matter how i tried to hold it it came out always higher on one side. So old news for some, new news for others. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I use mine the same way and it does a beautiful job! Much better than I can eyeball with a knife!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtodecorate2

Hi,
I've seen alot of posts about dislikes using the wilton leveler. I don't know what everyones reasons are but mine are that It doesn't level even. One side is always higher. Well for those of you that haven't thought of this I tried holding the leveler on the left side of the cake. (I'm left handed) See sawing it back and forth side to side but also turning both ends around the cake. 2 Cakes came out wonderfully level!!!
Before I would place the cake in front of me on the counter , then put the leveler above it and saw it back and forth towards me. Know matter how i tried to hold it it came out always higher on one side. So old news for some, new news for others. icon_smile.gif

I'm not seeing this...are you basically making a circle?

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 6

I do pretty much the same thing, but I keep the leveler stationary (just sawing it back and forth) while rotating the cake.

I also had better success when I quit leveling the bottom layer on the cake drum. Those darn things are always warped and crooked! Now I just put it on a regular cake circle, then transfer it to the drum after leveling.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtodecorate2

Hi,

I'm not seeing this...are you basically making a circle?

Yes - I make little back and forth sawing motions as I work it around my cake coming in from the edges all the way around. The center is normally the last area to be cut through. It works perfectly and is ALWAYS level. LOVE it!

lorenaortegarox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorenaortegarox Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 3:51am
post #6 of 6

i work it the same way but instead i rotate my cake... i much better results like that but i still want the agbay cake leveler... a girl can dream icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%