Message Using Special Font?

Decorating By kger Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 3:27pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 6

I need to incorporate a somewhat lengthy message on a cake, ideally using a special font. I tried to trace with RI last night and it crumbled when I tried to transfer it off the wax paper.

I don't have much more time to mess with it. Is there any way to print off a message and mod-podge or glue or something to a fondant plaque? Should I try to get find a bakery to copy it as an edible image or something. No one would be eating it if it were on a fondant plaque.

5 replies
Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 6

for the make-up bag in my pictures i painted 'Laura' and for the harry potter cake I painted 'happy birthday katie'. First find the font online or on computer and print message in size required, then trace it onto wax paper/tracing paper. Flip it over again (over normal paper and trace). Finally place over cake and very lightly rub the image onto cake... might be best to try on scrap fondant first. Also helps if your fondant has hardened before you do it..... then paint with gel colour and vodka icon_smile.gif
HTH sam x

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 6

This is from Karolynandrea's directions that she posted in her forum. I haven't tried it, but others said they have and she has a bunch of examples in her gallery. I didn't know how to make the link, so i copied and pasted her directions: I thought I would share with everyone how I get the fonts on my cakes. I came up with this technique because my hands are so shaky when I write and I could never get the words in a straight line!
First, you can go to www.searchfreefonts.com and www.typenow.net/themed.htm and download free popular fonts. I have used Disney fonts and other TV and Movie fonts from these 2 sites.
Using Word, print out the size and style of font you want to use on the cake.
Then trace it with a black sharpie so you can see it from the flip side.
Tape the paper onto a cookie sheet printed side down so you can see the font backwards.
Tape a piece of wax paper on top of the font.
Trace the backwards letters with buttercream icing.
Place in the freezer for 10 minutes or until hard.
Take it out of the freezer, lift up the wax paper and place it on the cake where you want it to be. Make sure the icing on the cake is soft enough to make an impression.
Lightly press the frozen letters onto the cake to make an impression.
Lift the wax paper and letters off the cake.
Trace the impression left on the cake with buttercream.
Sometimes when you peel the wax paper away, some of the letters may stick to the cake. But you can either take them off or pipe around them.
I hope this helps!

Dreamster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreamster Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

I had this issue last week.

I found the font online, printed it onto transparent paper, cut the sentence out in one stip and glued to the cake.

I removed the whole panel including the fondant it was glued to before eating.

Have a look in my photos to see what I mean.

It was an easy alternative and worked because I was there to cut the cake. Might not work if it is for a client.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 6

When making letters in royal icing you should pip onto parchment paper it is different from wax paper. The letters should be a "fat" font so you can outline and fill them it will make them stronger.

Have you considered using an edible image? I personally would't put paper on the cake.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6

I'm just going to print out and paste to a separate piece of fondant. I'll update you on how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%