Getting Credit For Work. Please Help Me!

Business By amaryllis756 Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 10:06am by kakeladi

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:36pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Hmmmm... I left a comment in this thread that apparently disappeared.

You will never know what happens to a product once it leaves your hands anyway. It can be repackaged, resold, or the mother of the bride could take credit. Why obsess about it? I could see WANTING to make sure people know you were the baker, but NEEDING to is a bit of an over-reach, isn't it?

I think it goes to the credibility of the restaurant/business you've contracted with. If they don't give you credit, find new customers. I know of a local bakery that "promotes" their homemade baked goods, yet I know for fact that they purchase prebaked goods - especially pies from a local food distributor.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:56pm
post #32 of 39

Wow! alot of comments. Thanks for all your advice.
First I want to say, that I am contracted by the bride. She placed the order, she paid me, and she told me what to do with the cupcakes (decorations), so I am not sub-contracted by the restaurant.
I have no idea why I cannot set-up the display. "They" )and I do not even know who "they" are), said that the florist was going to arrange the cupcakes. I don't know if it because of security or what. I think that the man from "Blackwater" is doing the security, I know he is one of the invited guests. I really can't say any more about the bride or groom, except that it is a local "high" profile wedding. And there is going to be one or 2 tv celebrities there. Other than security, I can't see why I cannot do the display, and I am a very small business, and you get kinda "squished" out of existance here. But that is another story.
I have to delver them today at the restaurant and the restaurant is taking the cupcakes to the venue on saturday, some 20 miles away. A lot of traveling, and I am sorry, but others do not care for my cupcakes like I do. That is why I would like to do the set-up and display.
The wedding coordinator called yesterday (first time I talked to her) and asked if I had a 7 tier tower) I don't, but was going to buy one if I had to do the display. Two days away from the wedding and you don't have a display stand! BTW can't buy them locally. Have to get them from the internet. Wonder what they are going to do?
Can't put up menu cards, can't put up any signs or allergy or ingredient cards. Nothing.
The bride did give me permission to put a sticker on the bottom of the cupcake. I made a 1/2" x 1" sticker on the bottom of the cupcake with my business name on it. That is all I wanted. No phone number or email address, or website name. As long as I have a little recongnition, I am happy. BTW that was 400 stickers I had to stick on, just to add extra work.
but at least my name is out there. icon_biggrin.gif
So, that's the story, got the solution, and I am happy about that. Hindsight, is 20/20 they say, and if I knew then, what I know now, I don't know if I would have taken the order.

amaryllis756 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:03pm
post #33 of 39

By the way, I do have a contract for the restaurant to sign, that once those cupcakes leave my hands, I am not responsible for any damage, or the way they are displayed.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:24pm
post #34 of 39

I don't think it's a good idea to put a sticker on the bottom of the cupcakes. If I were at a wedding, this would really irritate me and make me less likely want to use that baker. I think it's in bad taste (no pun intended). I agree with some of the other comments that if someone really likes your cupcakes they will ask the bride. I do sympathize about not being able to set up the display, but many times I've had to turn over a cake to hotel staff and hope they set it up well (and not break anything).

I know this isn't exactly the same but I had a similar situation in that I made all the gumpaste flowers for the birthday cake for a world famous billionaire, and also for the wedding cake of a famous Opera singer, but could not get credit for my work as I was commissioned by the baker. The credit all went to her. My point is that if people really like your work/product, they'll find you.

Good luck.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:54pm
post #35 of 39

I don't see a problem with you putting the sticker on the bottom of the cupcake with your name on it. It's a hidden spot, and it's not out in the open saying "LOOK AT ME". I've been to a few parties that I've seen stickers like that on the bottoms of the cupcakes or hanging from the cake pop sticks. I never thought twice about them! I don't think anyone will really pay attention to the bottom of a cupcake, so it's not a tacky tactic. I think it's a great way to get your name out there while being subtle.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #36 of 39

I think you did that extra work for nothing... people are never going to see those stickers. I know that I never look at the bottom of a cupcake liner I am peeling off. Not to mention that the stickers are probably just going to fall off. Cupcake liners can get greasy and stickers and grease don't mix.

I'm in the camp of the bride would be able to pass your info around. You have pictures of the cupcakes to put on your site and your happy bride will do the word of mouth. Have the restaurant sign the waiver and call it a day and spend that hard earned money. icon_smile.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm
post #37 of 39

I agree with the above poster that most people didn't even notice the sticker. I also agree that advertising is tacky. No stickers, tent cards, cards - nothing. If you make a good product people will ask the bride who she used.

amaryllis756 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:06am
post #38 of 39

If you label the cupcakes and the venue messes them up royally when the display is set up you will get the credit for that! I would be very careful. Better to give the bride some great cupcakes (and make sure she knows they're from you) than to have the restaurant possibly give you a bad rep by messing things up.

This is exactly what happened. They didn't mess up the display, but they certainly didn't do a good job. IT WAS A FLORIST WHO SET UP THE CUPCAKES! She obviously didn't know what she was doing. I don't think they have too many wedding cupcakes in this area. Don't seem to know what to do with them. They turned out beautifully, and the display didn't do them justice. Oh well, I was afraid that was going to happen. I could have done a much better job.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 10:06am
post #39 of 39

Sorry to hear how things turned out for you.
We can only hope if anyone was impressed w/the taste of the cuppies they will seek the proper info from the bride or family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%