Can This Topper Be Saved?

Decorating By trifles Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 10:18am by tokazodo

trifles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trifles Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:31am
post #1 of 10

I'm a newbie who took on a wedding cake as her first effort. I know. Anyway, so far I've been having great luck. I made a bunch of gerber daisies using the new gum paste kit from Wilton and they look terrific. They're about 3.5" across and very realistic looking. I want to use them to create a cluster for a topper on an 8" round (atop a 10" round) which will be covered with fondant. But I have no idea how to create a topper! And I don't seem to be able to find instructions. Plus, it seems it would have been a good idea to add wires to my daisies which I didn't do. Is there any help for this project? Could I hot glue them onto styrofoam or something? help...

9 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:51am
post #2 of 10

Can you just let them dry and set up, and then set them in the buttercream of your cake, or glue them with food safe glue to the fondant on the cake?
Many gum paste flowers are made ahead of time and dried.

gumpaste glue:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Gum-Paste-Adhesive

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-43689-.html

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:05am
post #3 of 10

I would stick them onto a ball of fondant with candy melts.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 10

Stick them to a mound of BC on top of the cake.

trifles Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

OK! This is good. so make a mound of something on top of the cake (the cake will be covered with fondant) and then stick them to that. They are really flat and wide on the bottom, so I might have to glob on a lot of buttercream to give them something to hold onto. I can see that working. I'm not sure how to stick them on with candy melts. Those are the little disks I see in the Wilton aisle? Do you melt them and then use them as glue? I have gumpaste glue but it's very watery - I can't see that holding these flowers onto anything - they've got some weight to them. They are in a cold oven now, drying. Nearly dry. Thanks so much! Keep the ideas coming, or help me understand if I've gotten it wrong. Tried to attach a pic of the flowers but I don't think it worked. These are my first posts here, after lurking a brief time. You guys are so kind to help a newbie - thank you!

trifles Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #6 of 10

OK- I uploaded a pic of the daisies in "My Photos." Just FYI

trifles Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #7 of 10

Hmmm - I think I'll try adding meringue powder to my watery gum paste glue to thicken it a bit. Thanks, tokazodo!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #8 of 10

melt down a small amount of fondant with just a drop or two of water , in the microwave for eight seconds and use that as glue it sticks fast and really well.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:04am
post #9 of 10

Depending on the look you're aiming for I would attach them to a mound of fondant (or get a styrofoam half-sphere and cover that with fondant to stick the flowers on) . You can just attach them with a little ball of moistened fondant...that works well.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:18am
post #10 of 10

Your flowers turned out beautiful! Please be sure to show us your cake when you are finished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%