Buttercream Frosting To Crusty

Baking By cakegallery Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 2:43am by cakegallery

cakegallery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegallery Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 6

Why does my the outer layer of my buttercream frosting get almost crunchy. I want it to crust enough to smooth it of course, but it is to crusty. What am I doing wrong. I do not use butter in recipe, just crisco, sugar, water and flavoring. Thanks for any help.

5 replies
dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 6

It is the ratio of fat to sugar that makes the buttercream crust. I would increase slightly the amount of crisco or a slight decrease in the amount of sugar. Hope this helps!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 6

How long are you waiting to smooth it? When using the viva method, you should only let the icing crust 10-15 mins, basically until it has just crusted and you can touch it and it doesn't stick to you, but hasn't gotten hard yet.

cakegallery Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:18am
post #4 of 6

I smooth after 10 to 15 minutes. I use 2 cups crisco, 2 pounds sugar flavorings and water. Should I use heavy whipping or milk instead or less sugar????? Any suggestions, Thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #5 of 6

It makes little difference if you use cream or milk instead of water. The taste might be a bit creamier when using cream but the amount of crusting won't be changed.
And when we suggest using less sugar - it's just about 1 cup less. Instead increase the shortening or add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter (or even margarine).

cakegallery Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:43am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%