Fondant Buttons

Decorating By floralfun Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm by DeniseNH

floralfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floralfun Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 8

Any tutorials for those cute buttons I see on cakes. Would love to use them for a baby shower cake, thanks!

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 8

Oh those are easy! Roll out some fondant kind of thin. Take a round cutter about the size of the button you want to make and cut a circle. Then take a slightly smaller round cutter and just lightly indent the inside of the circle. Take a toothpick and make either two or four tiny holes in the center depending on what kind of button you want. Let dry, paint or dust if you want and voila -- buttons!! icon_biggrin.gif

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 8

I actually just got back from the craft store and saw this http://www.nycake.com/fabricfondantandgumpastemold.aspx

sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 8

Hi!

If you're up for it, you can make your own using a mold putty (food safe). You can get it at craft stores, and they are so easy to make! I think it's called super putty?

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 8

I bought the mold that krumbledkakes linked to...I tried to use one of the ribbon molds with fondant, it says to put cornstarch on it to keep it from sticking.

I used oodles of cornstarch and my fondant still stuck. icon_sad.gif

I'll try again with a drier fondant or maybe a fondant/gumpaste mix.

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 5:38am
post #6 of 8

Wilton makes a mold that has buttons along with some ribbon borders on the same form. It's about $10 at Michael's. I have the Baroque one and I LOVE it.

lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 5:49am
post #7 of 8

I also used that same mold to make buttons...and yes use a lot of cornstarch. I didnt have any problems with them sticking. they turned out so cute!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 8

I too went to a local craft store and got a package of molding compound, food safe and with my 50% off coupon for that week icon_smile.gif I wanted to make my own because I have an extensive button collection spanning four generations. I don't like cornstarch as a release agent, but spray Pam instead. That way you don't have to try and get rid of the starch and it doesn't clog up the smaller details of the button mold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%