Gumpaste Bows

Decorating By schaussee Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 4:02am by carmijok

schaussee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schaussee Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 10

Today was my first shot at making larger bows from gumpaste. I don't know what I did wrong but they cracked and crumbled. How long do I let them dry before I move them or touch them? Also should I avoid using veg. shortening when making gumpaste bows? It seems like this may have been the reason why they didn't dry. I am so upset because the bows turned out nicely but cracked all around the edges and fell apart. The cake I am making isn't needed till Sunday so I have some time.

9 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 10

What gum paste are you using? I make bows and other decor with Wilton's pre-made gum paste and I love it. I also use shortening. Are you stretching and pulling it to make sure it's soft before rolling it out? I coat my hands with Crisco and start working it, then lay it out on the mat that's also covered with shortening and roll and cut my strips. You do have to work quickly..especially if you roll it thin.

I don't wait very long to pick them up once they start to dry. I can still move and manipulate a little to shape them better. I just use a palette knife to lift them up because they can get stuck to the board. Moving them to parchment paper helps them dry faster too. I will also turn them to make sure the undersides are getting air.

What are you using to cut the strips for your bows? I use a pizza cutter as well as fondant utensils that have a sharp edge. Sometimes a dull exacto can pull the sides as you're cutting and that can make them ragged. Are you getting them to shape correctly? I like to get my bows super thin if possible...you can look in my photos to see them. They dry super hard and are pretty sturdy as long as you don't drop them! HTH!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with Carmijok, I to use Wilton gumepaste and i love it for bows, I let mine dry for a couple of days and it worked out fine, as a matter of fact it was my last cake, of the wilton class, If you like to see it its in my photos. The green cake with the white and green bow.

carmijok Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

I agree with Carmijok, I to use Wilton gumepaste and i love it for bows, I let mine dry for a couple of days and it worked out fine, as a matter of fact it was my last cake, of the wilton class, If you like to see it its in my photos. The green cake with the white and green bow.

love the two tone look! I haven't tried that yet!

mommynana Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:35am
post #5 of 10

Thanks Carmijok, That was the only time I made a bow like that, It`s easy, just time consuming, But fun

mommynana Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 12:42am
post #6 of 10

BTW carmijok, Love your cakes, LOVE the one with the baby in the box.

schaussee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schaussee Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:07am
post #7 of 10

I am using the Wilton gumpaste but it's not the pre-made it's the kind I have to make. I make sure that it's a very workable consistency, like play-doh, before I roll it out. I crisco (ed) my hands, my Wilton mat, and my Wilton roller. I roll the gumpaste out and once I get it to about 1/8th I use the Wilton ribbon roller. I made my "bows" 3" wide and 7.5" long. I followed all the steps seen on here for making bows. They looked lovely at first. I did have a difficult time getting the two loops of the bow to stick together but I plan to brush them with water my next go round. I then rolled a piece out for the middle and attached it. I put cling wrap inside the loops to make sure they stayed puffed but as I said when I tried to touch them or manipulate them in any way they started to crack. They also got extremely mis-shapened. I appreciate your assistance and will try to make them thinner - perhaps that is the problem.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:29am
post #8 of 10

http://designmeacake.com/id67.html

Edna De La Cruz is a Rock Star in the cake decorating world. In this video, she teaches us how to make a fondant/ gumpaste bow.

She has other videos on her website and on youtube.

HTH

tokazodo

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #9 of 10

Click on the instructions below my signature. Something in there may help.

carmijok Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:02am
post #10 of 10

By all means look at the tutorials, but I really think it's your gum paste. Michael's has a 40% off coupon this week that you can download off their website and if I were you I'd go get the pre-made stuff. They shouldn't be falling or breaking apart like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%