Wet Moist Cake?

Decorating By theCword Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 1:28pm by theCword

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

I made the wasc cake from cc.

I let it cool in pan for 10 min, took it out, cool down in rack for almost an hour and when I went to touch it I noticed it felt very moist. I even thought maybe it wasn't done but when I had inserted a fork it came out with just a bit of crumbs. So I then wrapped it in saran very carefully because it wasn't completely cooled (I had somewhere to go) but it wasn't warm either. It felt sticky with the saran. I put it in the freezer and the next evening took it out to thaw. I took it out of saran (not sure if this step is correct) and sat it on an upside down cake pan. Again, felt moist, but sweaty now too.

It thawed out and it was still moist/wet/sweaty so I put it in the fridge for about 15 min to chill then I crumb coated. I was very nervous it'd come apart during crumb coating because of all the moisture but to my surprise I barely had any crumbs! Crumb coated as usual than used bc.

Has this happened to anybody else? I did take a taste and it tasted delicious. Hopefully it's not a soggy mess under my bc. Would I be able to tell if it was. Bc has stayed in tact and cake looks good.

3 replies
rubycurls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubycurls Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 4

I have never used this recipe but I make a stunning White chocolate cake that uses a lot of melted chocolate in the batter. First time I made I thought the batter was seriously runny but I put aside my misconceptions and baked it. Out of the pan it felt very moist but it tasted fabulous. Not soggy and it sounds a bit like the texture your cake had.
I'd say that if you bake it again and find that this is the way it is supposed to be, just mention to the person it's for that this is a very moist cake so they expect the taste.
Also freezing and thawing in wrap is known to help add further moisture to the cake. Maybe if you felt it was too moist you could thaw it out of the wrap but covered lightly in paper towels next time.
I think you probably know by now how the butter cream held up but maybe someone else who has baked this recipe can advise you on tiering and carving this cake if you wanted to use it for those in the future. Hth

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 4

A very moist, tender, wonderful cake is *exactly* what is expected from my recipe!
If you are still unhappy w/the results after icing and serving, I suggest that the next time you try it, add another 2 to 5 minutes to the baking time the dry it out a bit. Every oven is different and it could be that your's is slightly out of calabration - therefore it didn't bake up 'perfectly'.

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you thank you!!

I just had to say this was the BEST cake in the world! I took it over to my parents on Friday night (after a 3 hr drive) and presented it to them. I couldn't wait for them so I finally cut it and omgoodness. Delicious!!!! Everybody said the cake was so yummy.

I might leave it in the oven a bit more next time. I think I baked it for 30 something minutes this time. But the best part is they rose beautifully and I had a 4 inch cake for the 1st time. Will be making this again and again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%