Cake Pop Disaster!

Baking By SwtTreats Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 7:21pm by SwtTreats

SwtTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtTreats Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

A good friend of mine, whom I've known for many years, ordered minnie mouse shaped cake pops from me for her daughter's 1st birthday. This is not the first time I've made them an order. Sesame street cake pops were a success at her twins party. The only difference this time was that I was not going to attend the party due to another important obligation.

She provided custom sticks and chocolate melts and did not give them to me until the day before the party! I was asking for them all week...Well anyway, I worked hard the minute she gave me the sticks and literally broke night to have them done by morning! Our friend picked them up and I made sure to tell him to keep them cool with the AC on in the car.

When she saw the pops, she called me very upset! She said they were melted and the design was ruined! I explained to her that I told the guy who picked them up to be very careful and keep them cool...being that they were now ruined, she thinks they were done as a rush job! totally not true!

Also, the people at the party were claiming that the pops tasted horrible and seemed "uncooked"...what they obviously don't realize is that it probably was the frosting being too soft or "melted" inside as well...they told me more than half of them were not eatin.

Being that I was not there to know how or why they melted, is this my fault???? I did not take any short cuts , nor did I rush to design them. She has not paid me for them yet...now that they have turned out to be a disaster, do I take the loss or just ask for half of what I originally charged which was already discounted mind you because she is a very good friend and had many family members interested to order from me. Now after this mishap, I doubt I will be getting any calls..=( ...I am so dissappointed and feel soo bad on the outcome that I am totally and utterly embarassed! icon_cry.gif

Please give me your honest opinions, I need some kind of encouragement and ADVICE especially for the future to not ever experience this again...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this icon_smile.gif

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 6

1. If they hadn't been paid for, they shuld not have been picked up.
2. You should have transport instructions in writing to go along with pick up items.
3. Customers should sign the instructions to verify that you told them proper handling instructions and that they understood.

JessicaLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaLC Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 6

In the future, I would take a photo before handing them off; then you could have showed her how they looked before the guy picked them up, and probably didn't keep them cool enough!
I'm sorry this happened!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 6

I see the photo! These are adorable! What did you use for the ears?

Send that pic off to the mom. Obviously they were nice when they were picked up.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLC

In the future, I would take a photo before handing them off; then you could have showed her how they looked before the guy picked them up, and probably didn't keep them cool enough!
I'm sorry this happened!

After hearing all the stories here, thorough contracts and photos always seem to be the best possible advice. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SwtTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtTreats Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 6

@ leah_s - Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely do that on the next order...that is a great.

@ JessicaLC - your right...I did take lots of photos, but I did not send them beforehand. Unfortunately when I did try to send her the photo after she called, my phone was not letting me! as if it was not meant for her to see it ...very weird. - Thank you for responding!

@ gourmetsharon - I cut 1/4 off a chocolate melt and used the melted chocolate to keep them on and then covered them with the candy coating. Thank you for your compliment!

@ Cakeuhlicious <--love your name btw =) ...I will definitely take those steps. It makes so much sense to do that now even if they are good friends...definitely learned my lesson!! ---Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%