Gravel Effect Needed!

Decorating By SteveJ Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 2:01pm by costumeczar

SteveJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SteveJ Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:06am
post #1 of 14

I am creating a 3D steam train cake this weekend and need some ideas for the ballast that goes underneath the train track! short of chopping up or rolling individual stones out of grey icing i am stuck for ideas! the train itself is half a meter in length so i could really do with a quick and easy way of creating a gravel effect!

Hope you can help me!

13 replies
jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:31am
post #2 of 14

Earlene has sugar rock recipe on her website.....www.earlenescakes.com

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:23am
post #3 of 14

Bashed up boiled sweets!
Tesco (had at least) some own brand ones that have white, clear and black and white/grey boiled sweets in a bag. I used the black and white striped ones for ballast for my engineering train cake (in gallery). Just make sure you put them in position when you bash them because they all stick together after time, so if you do it in advance you will end up with a bowl (or whatever) of ballast!
HTH

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:35am
post #4 of 14

Take uncooked tapioca pearls and roll then around in a container of grey petal dust or dust made from gray non-toxic chalk. Of course this will only work if it is under a train cake as I'm imagining. If it is on the cake itself, it will obviously not work.

R4ORT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
R4ORT Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:35am
post #5 of 14

I found this photo on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/insite/3124157421/lightbox/

The effect looks good in my opinion. Not sure how it was achieved but to me it looks like the "rocks" have been cut in an angular fashion, perhaps from several lengths of slightly flattened rolls of sugar paste. You might need to let them harden slightly before cutting.

Hope it helps

artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:56am
post #6 of 14

That method looks great, R40RT! I bet you're right about how it was done.

SteveJ Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:14am
post #7 of 14

Some great ideas!! Keep them coming!

that sugar rock recipe really intrigued me...but i cant find any pictures on her website that show my what these things look like!

I've had a look at your picks Jennifer and was quite impressed with the boiled sweet idea...if only there was a grey boiled sweet!!!

the tapioca pearls idea sounds great but i dont have any grey petal dust (or even grey chalk!)

so far the winner seems to be from R4ORT...it would just take me a hell or a long time to cut up enough grey icing for 2ft of track!

JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:24am
post #8 of 14

I haven't tried this so I don't know if it would work but how about letting some gray fondant dry out (not completely) and the run it through a food processor? Or letting it dry completely and break it up with a hammer? Just an idea. Good luck!

artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:24am
post #9 of 14

Maybe there's some kind of cereal, or mixture of cereals that would work. Like cocoa puffs, slightly crushed or roughly chopped with a knife, just enough to rough them up a little.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:25am
post #10 of 14

Put some grey modelling chocolate that's hardened up in a food processor.

SteveJ Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:32am
post #11 of 14

Grey icing in a food processor...great idea!! i may have to try this!

Does anyone know how this gravel was made..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40311746@N07/4785766728/

its looks brilliant (from what i can see!) but i dont have a flickr account or even the right email account to set one up and ask the person who posted it!!

coloured rice crispies could also work and maybe even crushed bicuits for a more sandy effect! my minds awash with ideas!

LEFTYJO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEFTYJO Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:03pm
post #12 of 14

Looks like crushed graham crackers or crushed cookies to me

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:30pm
post #13 of 14

that sugar rock recipe really intrigued me...but i cant find any pictures on her website that show my what these things look like!

SteveJ....here is a link ot a pic of Earlene's rocks used around the base of cake

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Hunter_Nuts.htm

You'll have to scroll down to near the bottom of page....the turkey feather cake.

They look good but I see some other great ideas posted too!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 14

You could also make your life easier and just take rice krispies, put them in a bag with some grey dusting powder and shake it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%