How Would I Achieve A Snakeskin Pattern On A Figurine?

Decorating By tsal Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 1:18am by sweetcakes

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have access to an airbrush system.

I'm making a round birthday cake for my son, and I want the bottom border to be a snake. I would love to paint on a snake skin pattern somehow.

I've searched the net and have found tutorials for spray painting using netting for various non-edible projects.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I could do this using food coloring and paint brushes?

Thanks!

3 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 4

What about going to a large craft store - visiting their cake section and purchasing cans of spray color available today.

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 4

If you are putting it on a fondant covered cake I would try to hand paint it on using gel colors mixed with a little vodka. I love the effect of painting on fondant. It is a perfect canvas. Just make sure not to thin the colors out too much or it will run.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:18am
post #4 of 4

take the netting ( the kind that oranges and onions comes it is good) and stretch it over the fondant so that it slightly embosses it. Use colour dust (wilton - easy to get, petal dust - cake supply stores,online) and lightly brush the colours you want over the netting. that should give you a pretty good snake skin look

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%