Cranny Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:07pm
post #1 of

Hi everyone,

I have a cake due tomorrow afternoon of Darth Vader. I've taken a Vader make I found, draped it with Gumpaste (used the mask as a mold) and it's been drying for the last few days. I think thinned out some black coloring to 'paint' the mast. It turned out great but now that the black has dried, it's went from shiny to a matte finish.

I don't have a steamer - and I don't want to risk holding the 'mask' over the steam - it's the only one I have and my luck, I'd either break it or burn myself... icon_wink.gif

I have piping get, corn syrup, water (of course), cooking spray as a few of my options. What would work best? Party is Sunday, so I only need the shine for about 24hrs.....

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

12 replies
jenlg Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of

Hmm....maybe the steam setting from a clothes iron? I wouldn't know any other way to 'shine it up' other then a steamer. Not really one for the cooking spray idea unless someone tried it ans can say yes. That's a new one to me. Good luck!

Ladybug78 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:38pm
post #3 of

I also heard vodka mixed with corn syrup works. More vodka than corn syrup. I would try it on something small first. Hope this helps.

lilscakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of

I've never attempted this technique, but wouldn't an electric water kettle work for steaming? Seems to me I saw that on a cake decorating show sometime ago.....would be interested in knowing how you manage. Good Luck!

sugarflour2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:36pm
post #5 of

Spray Pam into a small bowl and brush it on the fondant. The more you brush on the shinier it will become.

samiam22 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of

I have used the half and half vodka/corn syrup and it works beautifully!! the shine lasts for days. I have an actual steamer which does not work nearly as well.

tmgarcia_98 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of

I also use cooking spray. Spray a little in a bowl and brush a light layer over the cake. Works perfectly!

Darlene Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:48am
post #8 of

Ditto on the cooking spray! icon_smile.gif

rava Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:08pm
post #9 of

Also agree on the cooking spray. I brushed it on black jewels for a cake I made this weekend, and it worked out beautifully!

jhndavid Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:18pm

wat u thougth pls do that tats the best solution icon_biggrin.gif

katie725 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:46pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

Hmm....maybe the steam setting from a clothes iron? I wouldn't know any other way to 'shine it up' other then a steamer. Not really one for the cooking spray idea unless someone tried it ans can say yes. That's a new one to me. Good luck!

i don't have a steamer and this is what i use! works great! just don't hold it too close for too long and you'll be fine!

jhndavid Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 9:54am

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5780810_keep-shine-candy-melts.html

suzied Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:55am

edible varnish, or give it a good coat of vegetable shortening. gently rub it all over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%