How Do I Keep A Shine.....???

Decorating By Cranny Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 11:55am by suzied

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone,

I have a cake due tomorrow afternoon of Darth Vader. I've taken a Vader make I found, draped it with Gumpaste (used the mask as a mold) and it's been drying for the last few days. I think thinned out some black coloring to 'paint' the mast. It turned out great but now that the black has dried, it's went from shiny to a matte finish.

I don't have a steamer - and I don't want to risk holding the 'mask' over the steam - it's the only one I have and my luck, I'd either break it or burn myself... icon_wink.gif

I have piping get, corn syrup, water (of course), cooking spray as a few of my options. What would work best? Party is Sunday, so I only need the shine for about 24hrs.....

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

12 replies
jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 13

Hmm....maybe the steam setting from a clothes iron? I wouldn't know any other way to 'shine it up' other then a steamer. Not really one for the cooking spray idea unless someone tried it ans can say yes. That's a new one to me. Good luck!

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 13

I also heard vodka mixed with corn syrup works. More vodka than corn syrup. I would try it on something small first. Hope this helps.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 13

I've never attempted this technique, but wouldn't an electric water kettle work for steaming? Seems to me I saw that on a cake decorating show sometime ago.....would be interested in knowing how you manage. Good Luck!

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 13

Spray Pam into a small bowl and brush it on the fondant. The more you brush on the shinier it will become.

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 13

I have used the half and half vodka/corn syrup and it works beautifully!! the shine lasts for days. I have an actual steamer which does not work nearly as well.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 13

I also use cooking spray. Spray a little in a bowl and brush a light layer over the cake. Works perfectly!

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:48am
post #8 of 13

Ditto on the cooking spray! icon_smile.gif

rava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rava Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 13

Also agree on the cooking spray. I brushed it on black jewels for a cake I made this weekend, and it worked out beautifully!

jhndavid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhndavid Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 13

wat u thougth pls do that tats the best solution icon_biggrin.gif

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

Hmm....maybe the steam setting from a clothes iron? I wouldn't know any other way to 'shine it up' other then a steamer. Not really one for the cooking spray idea unless someone tried it ans can say yes. That's a new one to me. Good luck!

i don't have a steamer and this is what i use! works great! just don't hold it too close for too long and you'll be fine!

jhndavid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 11:55am
post #13 of 13

edible varnish, or give it a good coat of vegetable shortening. gently rub it all over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%