Airbrush For Dusts? Is The The Same One For Colors?

Decorating By Cakes-and-bakes Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm by kakeladi

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 8

hello
I heard you can use luster dusts in an airbrush. is it a special kind just for dusts, or the same one you use for food coloring?

does it have a special name?

Im online looking to buy one, and would appriciate any brands or websites you could recommend!!! thank you!!

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 8

You use the regular airbrush. You just mix the dusts with alcohol like vodka or everclear to put them through the airbrush.

You can also buy some sheen airbrush colors from Americolor and I believe another company carries something like them as well.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 8

I was wondering is there a ratio to the alcohol to dust.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 8

I don't have a ratio. For me it is a dump and mix kinda of thing.

You want it to be thin enough that it easily goes through the airbrush. You may have to do several coats to get a darker color, but that's better than clogging up your airbrush.

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 8

thank you very much texas rose!

Is there any non alcoholic substitute i could use? I live in the middle east and they dont sell alcohol here, and I think if I were to ship it in they would confiscate it from me.and drink it themselves no doubt...

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 8

I know you can mix vanilla or lemon extract with the dusts. I haven't used them for the airbrush though.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 8

If you use the americolor sheen colors, you can get the same effect without the alcohol.

Do they sell clear vanilla extract where you live? That would work in place of the alcohol.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 8

the use of exctracts works because they are made up of alcohol. Look at the ingredient list - if it does not list at least 40% alcohol as an ingredient it will not work. You might be able to get it to spray but it will never dry - it will become very tacky/sticky. And I bet over time it will damage the airbrush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%