Question About Fondant Brands

Decorating By TPayne827 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 11:02am by DSmo

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 13

I am doing my first wedding cake next week! I am about to order the fondant but I can't decide which brand to buy. I have used Satin Ice regular and buttercream. I have also used the Duff fondant from Michael's but it is expensive and too yellow for a wedding cake. It has been a while since I used the Satin Ice regular but I remember it cracking easily and getting the elephant skin look. It seems like the Satin Ice buttercream fondant was easy to work with but I don't remember how white it was. Any suggestions? TIA!

12 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 13

if satin ice works for you, then try adding a little shortening to soften it up. should help with the cracking

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 13

Also, the buttercream flavor of white Satin Ice is white - not ivory.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 13

I only use Massa fondant. The color is perfect, the texture is perfect, and it tastes really good. It is a little expensive but well worth it.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 13

Are you totally opposed to commerical fondant cause Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipie if very easy, very tastey and very inexpensive!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 13

I mostly use Satin Ice. However I have also used PettinIce which I also like, but it soft. I just got in Ice N Easy and so far am not impressed. That stuff is tooth-achingly sweet. I used RegalIce years ago and it was horrid to work with. I have used Massa, once, but can not afford it and still be able to sell my cake.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 13

I"ve used Satin Ice a long time ago and had the same elephant skin results..so I agree with Moovaughan! I LOVE rhonda's ultimate MMF AND also MIchele Foster's homemade fondant is a BIG hit....and NOT made out of Marshmallows, yet easy to make! Save your pennies!

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 13

I used to make my own fondant but it was just too time consuming and I didn't have much luck with consistency. I think that was due to the crazy weather and humidity here in the south! I guess I will go with the Satin Ice buttercream. Thanks ibmoser for confirming that it is white! icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 13

hmmm...because I live in 100 degree weather with high humidity and these homemade fondants work for me..so not sure if that is the case in your situation.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:23am
post #10 of 13

I tried Fondx for the first time three weeks ago and I'm in love. It rolled out perfect the first time. Easy to cover my cakes and is less expensive the some brands. I don't like Satin Ice at all I used it on a wedding cake for a friend and had nothing but problems. The elephant skin people talk about and cracking. I even tried kneading in shortening and still wasn't happy with the final result.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:20am
post #11 of 13

I Have used satin ice ... fond x .....chocopan and fondarific... and fondarific is by far my favorite ...easy to work with and the best part is that it stays softer than other brands .. its not good for making figures or flowers but its great for covering cakes

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:37am
post #12 of 13

I used Fondarific chocolate last summer for my cousins wedding cake and didn't really care for it. It was more expensive and was really hard making it more difficult to knead.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:02am
post #13 of 13

Satin Ice does dry quickly, making it a little more difficult to work with. Fondarific is exactly the same as Duff's. Massa from Albert Uster is outstanding. Easy to work with and tastes great. The Massa Americana is supposed to be very white (I've only used the natural). You can get it at www.auiswiss.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%