Found A New Use For Wilton Spray Mist

Decorating By DSmo Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm by specialtycakecreations

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 2

So I'm not a big fan of the Wilton Spray Mist (especially the black) but I have a can of every color. I keep trying them, keep being disappointed. They're too light and transparent.

Anyway, I found that they work GREAT to get rid of traces of powdered sugar or cornstarch on fondant and gumpaste pieces, as well as make deep colors pop. Last week I made a little electric guitar and amp. The guitar was red, a little dull and I had sanded some rough spots on the edges. Gave it a light spray with the red spray and the color really popped! When I made the amp, there was a stubborn little bit of powdered sugar. Unsuccessfully tried the "rub it with another piece of fondant." So I gave it a tiny shot of the black spray -- powdered sugar was gone and the black became really rich black. This week I did a beach cake. Had little gumpaste flip-flops. They were bright pink, but again I had to sand some rough edges and there was a little cornstarch left behind. Gave them a light spray and WOW! suuuuper bright pink. So I ended up giving the little yellow flowers a hit, as well as the orange hibiscus. Got some really vibrant colors!

It might be old news to do something like this, but it was new to me. And now those previously useless cans of color will be put to good use. Just thought I'd share. icon_smile.gif

Happy Caking!

1 reply
specialtycakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakecreations Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 2

That's an awesome trick. Thank you so much.

I always have problems with black fondant turning somewhat dark charcoal when its been out on the cake for a bit. Even the bought pre-coloured kinds.
Usually rubbing with a little shortening makes it deeper black again, but it takes a while and sometimes looks uneven.

I'll definitely try the black mist on my next black cake.
Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%