Question About Bacon In Or On Cupcakes

Baking By LaLaCupcake Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 12:38am by LindaF144a

LaLaCupcake Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make 100 cupcakes for a charity golf tournament. They will be on display early in the morning before the golfing begins and they thought some breakfast like cupcakes might be interesting. I would love to do a maple bacon cupcake, but my husband says you can't have them out of the refrigerator because of the bacon. Is that correct? Will the bacon spoil or bacteria will form on them if they are just sitting out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

12 replies
macie2011 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 13

I found this online. Maybe it will be somewhat helpful.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818232938AAcA5kA

AnotherCaker Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 13

Lol...bacon spoiling in a matter of hours. When we cook breakfast, the bacon sits on it's little paper towel until lunchtime, for BLTs. Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, but just found that really funny.

kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 13

I don't agree w/your DH either. There should be no problem with making them especiallyt if the bacon is within the cupcake batter rather than just sitting right on top - naked - uncovered icon_smile.gif

instant-gratificaketion Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:08am
post #5 of 13

I would assume that if it was raw that would be an issue, but cooked bacon will be fine if left out for hours.

Freedomx6 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:34am
post #6 of 13

I think bacon is a PHF and subject to time/temp regulations. Hopefully somebody that knows more will chime in.

Jennifer1970 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:53am
post #7 of 13

I tried some maple, bacon spice cupcakes at a Cupcake Camp and they were fine. The cupcakes were lightly spiced, maple buttercream (not too sweet) and the cooked, crumbled bacon was sprinkled on top. They were delish! I think if the bacon is cooked well enough that you can "crumble" it, it's fine.

sacakesandbakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #8 of 13

Don't they sell pre made bacon that's not in the refrigerator section at the grocery store?

instant-gratificaketion Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacakesandbakes

Don't they sell pre made bacon that's not in the refrigerator section at the grocery store?




Yes, they do. You can find real bacon crumbles next to the Bacos.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomx4

I think bacon is a PHF and subject to time/temp regulations. Hopefully somebody that knows more will chime in.




I will! LOL! I just had my food handler's class with the health dept a couple months ago and the inspector who did my class told us that bacon is NOT subject to time and temp regulations as long as it is cooked properly. When cooked properly, the bacon contains NO WATER, which food has to have to rot.

When is it cooked properly? When cooled, you can hold it by one end and it will stick straight up, with no support or wilting. Not floppy.

Good luck! If you would like his number I can see if I can find it...I'll PM it to you so not EVERYONE on the web calls him, lol! Then you can come on here and tell everyone what he said.

amaryllis756 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 13

I haven't did any research of this, and maybe I am wrong. But with all the perservatives in bacon, I don't know how they can spoil that quick. In the "olden days" isn't that how they perserved their meat, was by smoking it. I make maple bacon cupcakes and my granddaughter loves them. She eats the left over ones, maybe a couple days old, and has never gotten sick. I do fry my bacon before I put them in the cupcakes. Maybe I am just confused, but I don't see any problem with the bacon in the cupcakes as long as it is fried and then put in the batter to bake. I guess I never thought that bacon would spoil. I could be wrong. Better think I this more

Annabakescakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 13

I will just re-post this, it is what the actual HEALTH DEPARTMENT told me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I just had my food handler's class with the health dept a couple months ago and the inspector who did my class told us that bacon is NOT subject to time and temp regulations as long as it is cooked properly. When cooked properly, the bacon contains NO WATER, which food has to have to rot.

When is it cooked properly? When cooled, you can hold it by one end and it will stick straight up, with no support or wilting. Not floppy.

Good luck! If you would like his number I can see if I can find it...I'll PM it to you so not EVERYONE on the web calls him, lol! Then you can come on here and tell everyone what he said.


LindaF144a Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:38am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

Lol...bacon spoiling in a matter of hours. When we cook breakfast, the bacon sits on it's little paper towel until lunchtime, for BLTs. Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, but just found that really funny.




Agree, only we never get bacon to last that long in this house. 20 minutes after cooking it is a record. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%