How Do I Work Out How Much Mixture Is Needed For 12" Ro

Baking By SamHarrison Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 5:39pm by Sangriacupcake

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 7

Well I've had an order for a wedding cake! My first wedding cake, it's not until April next year but I need to give her a quote. I gave her a rough price when she wasn't sure of details but now I know what she wants! Anyway, long story short! She wants a 12", 10" and 8" tiered cake. How do I work out how much cake mixture I need to fill each tin? She wants 3 different flavours, carrot cake on the bottom, then chocolate, then vanilla. The chocolate and vanilla I'm not so worried about as I use the recips so often but I'm a little worried about getting the right quantity of carrot cake mixture to get the cake the right depth and not end up with it raw in the middle! Help!
Thanks x

6 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 7
HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, I've found the Wilton chart to be pretty spot on. I measured it out the first time I used some of the larger pans icon_smile.gif

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you very much!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 7

To me measuring batter is soooooo messy and inacurate (did you scrape *every bit* of batter out of the cup each time you measured? - most people don't) ! icon_sad.gif
It sounds like you are baking from scratch. I know batter amounts for mixes.
For a 12" round cake you need 1 and 1/2 mixes so my *original* WASC recipe is perfect! icon_smile.gif
To use the *original* WASC for carrot cake simply use a carrot OR spice mix and add shredded fresh carrots. For a carrot mix use about 1/2 cup and for a spice you want more - up to 1 cup.
I do not use pineapple in my carrot *cake* but use the pineapple sleeve filling to fill it. If you want you could use pineapple juice for the liquid in the cake mix.
One other way to judge how much batter to use per pan is to fill it 2/3rds full. So if it is a 2" deep pan (*highly* recommended) the batter should be 1 & 1/3" deep.
As for being sure it is baked in the center - I've never had a problem even with cakes up to 16". If you still are worried about it use a flower nail as a heat core and wrap the pan with wet baking strips.
I bake at 300 degrees until I can smell the cake. That is usually about 30-45 minutes for that size pan. If the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan it is overbaked. Just remember that a carrot cake has more moisture in it so it will take longer to bake than say a vanilla one.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 7

I just wanted to clarify, that I don't measure my batter each time I make a cake. I did it the first time to see if the Wilton chart was accurate, and I found it was. I figured out how many cups of batter my recipes make (I measured them once as well- just made a notation on the top of my recipe hard-copy), so now I know how many "recipes" I need to make to get the amount of batter I need for each pan if I go by the Wilton chart.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

I just wanted to clarify, that I don't measure my batter each time I make a cake. I did it the first time to see if the Wilton chart was accurate, and I found it was. I figured out how many cups of batter my recipes make (I measured them once as well- just made a notation on the top of my recipe hard-copy), so now I know how many "recipes" I need to make to get the amount of batter I need for each pan if I go by the Wilton chart.

thumbs_up.gif I think that's what a lot of cakers do--very handy to have that info right on recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%