Spiked Dog Collar Border - How To?

Decorating By Beansss Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 8:03pm by yolansanch

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 12:57am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone made something similiar to a spiked dog collar border? I imagine I'd cut a strip of fonant for the belt part, but the spikes have got me a little befuddled. icon_confused.gif

I could make the spikes from fondant (or is there better medium for this?), but how could I attach them so they don't fall off? And what would be a good way to form them? Icing tips?

Thanks for any advice to push me in the right direction. It is amazing how much I have learned and improved from lurking on this site! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #2 of 6

I would probably measure the fondant so it was all the same size (roll it out an even thickness, cut circles with a small cutter) and then just form the spikes by hand. Use gum glue or even just a little bit of water to attach the spikes.

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I would probably measure the fondant so it was all the same size (roll it out an even thickness, cut circles with a small cutter) and then just form the spikes by hand. Use gum glue or even just a little bit of water to attach the spikes.

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure if water or gum glue would be strong enough to hold it, but I feel better about it now. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

yolansanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yolansanch Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 6

I"m also interested in something like this. This cake http://www.vivaciouscakes.com/cake-gallery.html?id=28&view=detailhas something like that and I can't figure it out.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #5 of 6

Looks like each pyramid has three pcs. stuck together - hollow in the center then cemented to the cake with royal - or held into place on the cake with toothpicks inserted into the cake then "hang" or "balance" each pyramid on a toothpick - wouldn't put them into place until I got to the venue. The only problem I can see is that each pyramid would have to have a curve on he bottom to conform to the curvature of the cake.

yolansanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yolansanch Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Denise, I'll probably try making them out of 3 triangles of gumpaste and let them dry before attaching to cake at the venue. Still nervous about the tilted cake though icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%