Frosting Plastic Castle Parts

Decorating By khoff Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 1:19pm by Mercedes0613

khoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoff Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 4

Someone loaned me the Wilton Romantic Castle Cake Set. I don't have any experience incorporating plastic parts into my cakes, but it seems to me the towers, turrets, etc. would be easier to handle if I frost them with royal icing rather than buttercream. If I do that, can it be washed off? Will the frosting color stain the plastic? I don't want to ruin this borrowed set.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 4

.............frost them with royal icing rather than buttercream. If I do that, can it be washed off? Will the frosting color stain the plastic?............

Yes royal is better than b'cream; yes, it will wash off just fine.... BUT........yes, colored icing could possibly stain the plastic.
Check w/the people who loaned you the set to see if they would object to your icing it.

khoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoff Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 4

Good idea. Thanks for the quick reply!

Mercedes0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mercedes0613 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4

I have a question...how do you get the turrets to be smooth? My royal icing came out a bit stiff and it is extremely difficult to ice the turrets and framing the windows. Some of the icing (on the window frame) has already chipped off. I was going to make a less stiff royal icing but will the icing still chip off??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%