Will Never Make Mmf Again!!

Decorating By BlueMoon73 Updated 4 Jun 2011 , 3:13am by ReneeFLL

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 42

I finally made fondant using unflavored gelatin, light corn syrup & glycerin! OMG I will NEVER make Marshmallow Fondant again! I LOVE it!! I could tell before it was even fully mixed how much better it was!! I was a little intimidated before but it was really very easy. Not sure who's recipe it is but I would like to thank them for putting it on the web!!

41 replies
KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:43am
post #2 of 42

Will you please share which recipe you used?

BlueMoon73 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 42

Sure if anyone knows who's it is or if its yours.... thank you!! I used vanilla extract instead of almond though. My son loved the flavor.

Fondant
Ingredients required to make the fondant recipe:
1 Tbsp of unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup of cold water
1 tsp of almond extract
1/2 cup of light corn syrup (If a corn syrup is not available, you can substitute it with a sugar syrup made with 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until syrupy)
1 Tbsp of glycerin (some recipes say its optional, believe me, its a must)
2 lbs 10X confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp of white vegetable shortening
First, sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small bowl and let it rest for 2 minutes to soften. Next, place the bowl in a microwave for 30 seconds on High, until the gelatin dissolves. After that, add the Almond extract and the corn syrup and the glycerin and stir until the mixture is smooth and clear (if the mixture is not turning smooth and clear, microwave it for an additional 15 to 20 seconds on high and stir again). Then, sift 1 1/2 pounds of the sugar into a large bowl.B esides that, make a hole in the sugar and pour the liquid mixture to it stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture becomes sticky. Next, sift some of the remaining 1/2 pound of sugar onto a smooth work surface and add as much of the remaining sugar as the mixture will take. After that, knead the fondant, adding a little more sugar if necessary, to form a smooth, pliable mass. Then, rub the vegetable shortening on your thumbs and knead it into the fondant. And wrap the fondant in plastic wrap and place it in a tightly sealed container to prevent it from drying out. Last, If the icing dries out and harden it can often be revived by popping it into a microwave oven for a few seconds and then kneading it back to life.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 42

Thanks for posting this icon_smile.gif

MrsAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAC Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:04am
post #5 of 42

i have only made mmf..can you explain how this recipie is different? i dont like how mmf drys out so quick and then when you try to moisten it it gets sticky!

chicchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicchick Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:09am
post #6 of 42

I use one 16 oz bag of marshmallows, 1 two pound bag of powdered sugar and three table spoons of water. Much faster than traditional method.

MrsAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAC Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #7 of 42

yes thats the same mmf recipie I make..tastes great..just not the easiest to work with!

chicchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicchick Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #8 of 42

I live in Las Vegas. Very, very dry here. If I don't coat the mixing bowl, marshmallow bowl and my hands with enough shortening then the fondant is so dry it cracks. Very temperamental. Been making it for four years now with little trouble. Have you tried a food vacuum sealer? Very helpful.

BlueMoon73 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #9 of 42

I found this recipe to be just as quick and easy as the marshmallow one. True more ingredients and cost but same time to prepare. And a better end product in my opinion.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #10 of 42

This recipe is different because it doesn't use any marshmallows.....

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:25am
post #11 of 42

oooh..I shall try that one. I love the easiness and taste of mmf but sometimes I get cracks when covering a cake. Thanks for sharing!

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:00am
post #12 of 42

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:03am
post #13 of 42

I LOVE how easy MMF is to make and how cheap it is compared to SatinIce or Fondarific brands, plus it tastes SO much better. My top tip for using MMF is the microwave - shove that stuff in there for 30 seconds (less if it's not a full batch), knead with a touch of cornstarch on your hands (being careful because it can get almost liquid and very hot in the centre) and then use as normal. It brings it back to a lovely elastic quality. Having said that, it's been raining for a while in California, so maybe I'll feel differently about it in July!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:20am
post #14 of 42

Recipe is from the cook duke website. No actual name except the duke or cook duke. You can send an email with a pic of the cake you made using his/her fondant recipe, and he/she will post it with your comments.

Link to cook duke fondant recipe, and readers cakes, plus other recipes, here.

http://thecookduke.com/fondant-recipe/

BlueMoon73 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:24am
post #15 of 42

Thank you warchild I will do that!

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:08am
post #16 of 42

I know its amazing! The difference I found between mmf and the glycerin recipe was the mmf was stretchy and the glycerin fondant was more like clay. It doesn't bounce back when you roll it out. I also hate the taste of mmf and the glycerin stuff melts in your mouth so its more like frosting kind of. Mmf is chewy. Just what I found. Other people liked it much better too.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:12am
post #17 of 42

I agree... MMF is okay, but traditional fondant recipes yield a better product. I find MMF to be spongy compared to "real" fondant (for lack of a better term) and more cloyingly sweet.

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 6:15am
post #18 of 42

its what i use too.it is from Toba Garrett's book....'The well decorated cake'.she has some nice recipes in there.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 12:05pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAC

i have only made mmf..can you explain how this recipie is different? i dont like how mmf drys out so quick and then when you try to moisten it it gets sticky!

Add more water when you're making it, rather than trying to moisten it later. I use 1/4 cup water and 2 or 3 teaspoons of extract in my MMF.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:58pm
post #21 of 42

BlueMoon73, this recipe looks like a 1/2 batch of Michele Foster's fondant recipe...I agree, it's awesome ! Hers actually calls for vanilla, not almond extract. I just discovered it myself and I don't think that I'll use MMF unless it's an emergency icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:14pm
post #22 of 42

I personally love michelle fosters fondant. I have made both and hers is much easier. I have made both more than once.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 2:28pm
post #23 of 42

I'm a great fan of Michele Foster's fondant, too. I've tried MMF, but marshmallows here in Mexico are made differently than in the US (I think they have a lot more gelatin), so it turns out even worse here than it does there. I use orange extract instead of/as well as vanilla. The citrus flavoring lowers the over-the-top sweetness of the fondant.

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:04pm
post #24 of 42

Is the glycerin fondant recipe as sickingly sweet as the mmf?

I love the look of fondant yet myself, my family, neighbors and friends (even some of the kids at church) thinks it is way too sweet especially mmf. I mix salt into my buttercream recipe to detract the extreme sweetness of powdered sugar. I have added salt to the mmf to do the same. Tasting it on it"s own(fondant) with the salt mixture, it isn't as sweet yet once combined with the cake and frosting, You'll be lying down with a sweet headache. I would love to use more fondant(I love satin ice yet it is a somewhat extra sweet too) but I would like to find a way to cut the sweetness or how to find a balance.

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:07pm
post #25 of 42

So what sort of gelatin does this recipe use? Although I'm now in California, I'm from England so I'm used to gelatin that comes in sheets. If the recipe calls for a tbsp, is it powdered or in crystals, or something? Maybe I WILL try it!

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 42

Englishlady, it's a powered gelatin that comes in an orange box (envelopes or a larger container)...Knox brand.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:42pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCakeLady

So what sort of gelatin does this recipe use? Although I'm now in California, I'm from England so I'm used to gelatin that comes in sheets. If the recipe calls for a tbsp, is it powdered or in crystals, or something? Maybe I WILL try it!

http://knoxgelatine.com/basics_Bot.htm icon_smile.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 4:59pm
post #28 of 42

I'm interested to try this.

Just wondering if any of you add glyceryn to your MMF? Once I learned to do that I didn't have any more drying issues with it.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:01pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpotts

I'm interested to try this.

Just wondering if any of you add glyceryn to your MMF? Once I learned to do that I didn't have any for issues with it.

Do you add it when you're making the mmf or after while you're using it?

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 5:20pm
post #30 of 42

The MMF recipe I've tried is Macs Moms and it has glycerin. It's been great to work with but I'm pretty new to this whole cake thing and haven't yet tried MFF. That's next on my list!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%