Well This Was A First For Me!

Decorating By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 1 Jun 2011 , 4:37am by Candice56

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 31 May 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 22

I just got a call from a bride whose wedding is this Friday. She said her friend is baking the cake and she just found out the banquet hall won't allow cake by an unlicensed baker. (They just called her saying they still need a copy of the contract from the baker for their files.) So I'm thinking...great, she wants me to do a rush job. Ugh!

But nooooooooooo.

She says, "I know this is a strange request, but I'm wondering if you would just write up a contract so they'll think you baked the cake? icon_eek.gif We can even pay you, like, $20!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

For real? icon_confused.gif

21 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 22

Ahhh..No!!And she didn't check into this until now....Idiot!!

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 22

oh no. That's insane. Stay far away from this bride.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 22

unbelievable!!! So when 300 people get sick..guess who's name and contract is with that cake...yours. NO WAY.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 22

I guess the recession has affected everything - according to the bride, the price of integrity is only twenty bucks?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 22

SURE! And while you're at it.....do you have a bridge in Brooklyn you'd like me to buy?

HILARIOUS!

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

I guess the recession has affected everything - according to the bride, the price of integrity is only twenty bucks?

thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 22

There is a quote from Albert Einstein that goes something like this:
" there are two things in this world that are infinite: the Universe and people stupidity and I'm not sure about the Universe" . That fit this dingy bride! She must be smoking some funny stuff!
icon_eek.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Ahhh..No!!And she didn't check into this until now....Idiot!!

She said they "still" need a copy of the contract, so I'm assuming she knew. Maybe she thought she just needed a contract from her friend?? icon_lol.gif I work with this hall all the time and THEIR contract states that there is a $100 cutting fee and that the cake MUST be from a licensed baker. I don't know how she could have missed it.

I really do feel sorry for her. I know weddings are stressful and there are lots of things to keep track of....and now this is one more thing she has to stress about....but come on! And she made the $20 sound like such a great deal. Like....all you have to do is sign your name on a piece of paper and you'll get a whole $20!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 22

Don't do it! You would be handing over all liability for $20! What is this woman thinking??

It's fraudulent and immoral and she's a loony.

I'm sure you are smarter than that. Thank heavens!

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 31 May 2011 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Ding

Don't do it! You would be handing over all liability for $20! What is this woman thinking??

It's fraudulent and immoral and she's a loony.

I'm sure you are smarter than that. Thank heavens!

Oh...I have no intention of doing it. LOL

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 31 May 2011 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 22

Maybe you'll be getting an order for a wedding cake this Friday! Are you prepared to accept it?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 31 May 2011 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 22

Yes, you could be getting an order for a wedding cake for this Friday. Let's see, an 8" round cake, contract needed for venue, no need to deliver, we'll pick it up........... then magically appears the friends cake for delivery, along with said contract.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 31 May 2011 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Yes, you could be getting an order for a wedding cake for this Friday. Let's see, an 8" round cake, contract needed for venue, no need to deliver, we'll pick it up........... then magically appears the friends cake for delivery, along with said contract.

I hope not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycakes1966

I work with this hall all the time

hopefully, the hall knows johnnycakes well enough to not allow them to pull one over on 'em.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 31 May 2011 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 22

I hate it to say it, but she could have just duped you into sending her a contract (which she could sign but never send back to you). At least she was honest... points for that!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 12:13am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

This was a big LOL!!!! icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #17 of 22

O.....M.....G! Just when you think you've heard it all!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:22am
post #18 of 22

Is this someone you know, or did she just pick you out of the phone book? I can't decide which is worse -- asking this of a friend or assuming a total stranger would have no problems with it?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 3:42am
post #19 of 22

Well when a strange delivery person shows up with a cake the venue will probably ask to see, proof of insurance, copy of business license etc. Can you imagine having to eat your wedding cake on the parking lot? Go figure!

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:06am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedalian

Is this someone you know, or did she just pick you out of the phone book? I can't decide which is worse -- asking this of a friend or assuming a total stranger would have no problems with it?

I don't know who she was. She didn't give her name and I didn't keep her on the phone long enough to find out. icon_lol.gif

And nope, I won't be doing any last minute wedding cakes this week! If I had time and she was paying me (more than $20!!!), I'd consider it....but I'm too busy this weekend. I suppose her friend can bake the cake and everyone can gather in the parking lot for the cake cutting ceremony. icon_lol.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:32am
post #21 of 22

wow...amazing... I still can't close my gapping mouth of disbelief.

I guess liability issues are not in her dictionary.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 4:37am
post #22 of 22

If she signed a contract with the venue she knew right then and there I'm sure it was in black and white she had to work with a licensed baker providing food there her karma is now going to bite her rear big time, I said last week in a post karma does come around to those who trying to work outside the rules they eventually get caught on their own, and she probably has her fanny in a sling as the venue at this point may want to call the baker / decorator and verify since she has put them off for so long and the venue does not want to get sued so they are covering their butt. I'd hate to be in her ruby slippers about now. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%