Chocolate Carnations?

Decorating By Lovin_Cakes30 Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 10:40pm by rapunzel36

Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 15

I was watching one of the tons of cake shows and saw a guy from vegas make chocolate carnations by scraping chocolate off the back side of a cookie sheet. Anyone seen this? Do you know the recipe to make them wrinkle and fold like that? Googled chocolate carnations and came up with nothing so I was hoping someone on here had a tutorial or knew anything about it....THANKS!

14 replies
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 28 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 15

Anyone know what I am talking about? Maybe I spelled it wrong?

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 15

I made these at one point in the same style you could get chocolate ribbon. The only way i know is to temper chocolate and then spread it thin on the cookie tray. Let it harden and then use the scraper to scrape off the chocolate. you may have to rub you hand on the opposite side of the sheet tray (not the chocolate side) in order to warm the chocolate a little to aid in its release.

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 15

Cool, so you think that it was just regular chocolate...nothing added to it? I have heard about and watched chocolate be tempered... but I will have to look up the exact directions on that. This guy just made it look soooo easy! Of course I am sure it is super hard!

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 28 May 2011 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 15

It's not really hard per say.. just tricky. tempering chocolate involves melting the chocolate to a specific temperature, being careful not to exceed that temp, cooling it down to a certain temperature, and then bringing it back up to the final temp. That creates chocolate that will harden and look nice without blooming or being brittle. Think of it as making candy... Practice is the only advice i've got. icon_smile.gif

Oh, and yes, i don't think there's anything else in there except for the chocolate..

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 29 May 2011 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 15

ahhh thanks! I guess I could also look up chocolate ruffles to get more things to pop up! Thanks for the link!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:23am
post #8 of 15

I saw that too but the only thing I remember is that he took great pains talking about how you need a really flexible knife for this, .........I think he called it a fillet knife.

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:06am
post #9 of 15

Yeah I remember that too! And yay, I have a fillet knife =)

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:26am
post #10 of 15

I saw a video on youtube with a guy that made carnations, but I can't find it. he used chocolate and flimsy cake spatula to spread a real thin layer of chocolate on marble and then he used another tool to pull chocolate strips (I think it was a toothpick, but I don't remember) to make the top edge sort of ribbed. while it was slightly set (soft and pliable) He held the spatula at a slight angle so it rolled up into a pinwheel (like a cinnamon roll) and pinched together the bottom to form the bottom of the flower. He made it look very easy, but I am sure it would require a good bit of practice. Sorry I couldn't find it. I did find an Elaine Macgregor video making chocolate roses on youtube though. Why couldn't you use the same concept with carnations, just thin out the upper lip of the pedal like a carnation.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 31 May 2011 , 12:43am
post #11 of 15

The name of the chocolate artist from Vegas is Vincent Pilon. icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 31 May 2011 , 2:49am
post #12 of 15

If you want, you can also use modelling chocolate, in the same way you'd use gumpaste or fondant to make carnations.

http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2010/11/white-modeling-chocolate-and-roses.html

Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 31 May 2011 , 3:44am
post #13 of 15

Thanks for that link too! I just made some modeling chocolate for the first time after reading that....I am gonna play around with it once it sets. Yay I am excited icon_smile.gif

lray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lray Posted 21 Dec 2012 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 15

I saw that show and I am sure the chef added a small amount of oil to the chocolate

rapunzel36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rapunzel36 Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 15

AGrand-place chocolate techniques part3.avi at you tube.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%