Anyone See New Walmart Cakes??

Decorating By ChrisJack1 Updated 29 May 2011 , 12:38am by labmom

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 9

I was in a Walmart here in San Antonio, Tx the other day and noticed a table sticking out like a sore thumb right as I walked in. As I passed by it, I saw two graduation cakes on it - one the traditional Walmart sheet cake, and the other a two tiered stacked cake!! I couldn't believe it!! Sales must be down in the bakery since television has taken people on a cake ride that leaves Wally in the dust....Next time I go in, I'll snag a pic of it icon_smile.gif

8 replies
10xHigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
10xHigh Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

My local store had the dummy cakes also a hidious shade of yellow and black....none of the schools in my area have those as school colors. Did your store have a plastic grad cap on top about the size of a coffee mug?

Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 9

I was just a mine today and they have the same yellow and black two tier dummy cake. We don't have any yellow and black schools here either! That is so funny.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 27 May 2011 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10xHigh

My local store had the dummy cakes also a hidious shade of yellow and black....none of the schools in my area have those as school colors. Did your store have a plastic grad cap on top about the size of a coffee mug?

Oh man the plastic cap is priceless!!! And pretty sure the only thing with those Colorado are the Bruins....(BOO, go lightning) and the Steelers LOL! The Publix grocery stores here in Fl have started fondant cakes, they are not cute!

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 27 May 2011 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 9

The two tier at ours was $48.00 and it was yellow and green which is a color of the high school straight across from the store. I actually thought it looked pretty good for the money.

ChrisJack1 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 9

Mine was yellow and black, too!!! Hahahaa - and yes, the dang cap was on there in all of it's "glory".

ChrisJack1 Posted 27 May 2011 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

The two tier at ours was $48.00 and it was yellow and green which is a color of the high school straight across from the store. I actually thought it looked pretty good for the money.

If it's a dummy cake I'm sure it looks better than the actual cake will. My husband ordered me a Tinker Bell cake for my birthday from HEB (I was making two cakes for friends and couldn't do my own icon_sad.gif) and when he picked it up he was disgusted. He complained to the manager saying it was a hot mess - even the colors were off! I guess it depends on how much the person working behind the counter knows about fondant. And honestly - I'd rather work at a real bakery where you can really be creative than at Walmart where you're boxed in...

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:53am
post #8 of 9

I saw that at ours too. I wish the grocery stores would stick with sheet cakes and leave the tiered cakes to us! Not that they can compare to what we do, but knowing how people already compare our prices to Walmart, now they probably will even more once they see them doing tiered cakes and fondant! icon_confused.gif

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:38am
post #9 of 9

Well walmart has been doing tiered wedding cakes for a while now. The only good thing that most people don't like to pick up a cake that they have to put together or worry about the transporting.
Everywalmart is going to be different depending onthe decorator that they hire.

We change decorator and bakery people in ours so often it is crazy. We don't have any good bakeries around our area. When we go on vacation my sightseeing is visiting bakeries and grocery stores. The best cakes from a grocery store that I have ever seen was in Hilton Head Island. I don't know which of the two stores that we frequented publix or ?? piggly wiggley?? but the cake decorating was amazing. I would not even bother selling small cakes or childrens cakes if I lived there. I wish i would have had a camera phone at that time.
They say walmart is going to take over the world guess there starting with cakes (lol).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%