Colouring Carrot Cake

Baking By loveattraction Updated 22 May 2011 , 9:33am by loveattraction

loveattraction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveattraction Posted 21 May 2011 , 11:01am
post #1 of 3

I am wanting to do a carrot cake for my boyfriend's birthday in the next month or so but I know that he also likes the 'rainbow style' cakes, a different colour in each layer. I am curious as to whether the americolour food colouring pastes would be good enough to give the cake a vibrant colour without tasting off? For yellow and orange I would be willing to just do a white cake to get the colour bright enough but would only do this as a last resort.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 3

Have never attempted anything like that but remember a carrot cake has a brown color base so getting vibrant yellow or orange is not going to work - well, the orange might but definately not the yellow icon_sad.gif
I would say Americolor pastes/gels would work fine. I never had them give an off taste to my icing.

loveattraction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveattraction Posted 22 May 2011 , 9:33am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Have never attempted anything like that but remember a carrot cake has a brown color base so getting vibrant yellow or orange is not going to work - well, the orange might but definately not the yellow icon_sad.gif
I would say Americolor pastes/gels would work fine. I never had them give an off taste to my icing.

Okay, thanks for the reply. Thats what I was worried about so will have maybe one layer just plain to be more vibrant. Ah well I guess I will find out once I make it =P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%