Cake Baking Schedule- Is This Ok?

Decorating By Niki11784 Updated 22 May 2011 , 6:34pm by cathyscakes

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I have a cake that will be served on a Friday. It will be completely covered in fondant. Can I bake it sunday, and cover/decorate it on Monday or is that too early?

10 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 11

You are baking it on a Monday to serve the following Friday? I am sure the fondant will keep in the moisture, but personally I would not make a cake that far in advance. I don't like to eat cake that is more than three days old without being frozen in between. There has to be a point where it just starts to taste stale.

But that could just be my personal preference. I am sure there are others that have a different experience than mine.

Niki11784 Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 11

I would bake it sunday... I can't work on it on Thursday or Friday, so really it would be a matter of baking it on sunday or on monday.

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 20 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 11

I think that is way too early. Your talking a full week here. I bake 2 days before due date, let sit over night to settle, decorate the next day and deliver the day after. I wont go any longer than that. I want my cake to be fresh.

Niki11784 Posted 22 May 2011 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 11

I have seen lots of people comment on CC that they bake 3 days before, so the cake can settle before they cover. I have seen someone post that for example they bake on Monday, Frost/crumbcoat on Tuesday, and decorate on Wednesday. Is there anyone here who does that?

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 11

I don't bake my cakes anymore than 2 days in advance. I think baking on Sunday for a cake that isn't due until Friday is really pushing it.

Niki11784 Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 11

I dont know if this makes a difference, but its not an order- its for a family party.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 11

I would bake the cake now, and freeze, then decorate on wednesday.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 May 2011 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 11

I'm with CathyCakes. Freezing the cakes doesn't hurt them and they don't take long to thaw so you could pull them out Wed morning or afternoon decorate them and then you would be in better shape for know the cake would taste fresh.

miasmom82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasmom82 Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 11

I am wondering how you wrap you cake before you freeze it? I am baking a cake on Monday going to freeze it until Friday. Then put the icing and flowers on Saturday morning for a party on Sunday. Can I make my buttercream a day before too? I have soooo much going on that I want it to be super prepared?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 11

I don't blame you at all for wanting to be prepared, I'm that way too, don't like surprises. For all of my cakes I bake a week ahead of time and freeze. I wrap the cakes in saran wrap, and then in foil. I like knowing that all of the cakes are baked and ready to go. Yes you can make your buttercream the day before, it will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%