Smoothing Swiss Merengue Buttercream??

Decorating By 59cakes Updated 19 May 2011 , 3:01am by lilmissbakesalot

59cakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me the best way to smooth swiss merengue buttercream. It never smooths as good as the fake buttercream but SMB tastes way better. Thanks for your help.

3 replies
Jennzoe333 Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 4

I have good luck smoothing it if I put it in the fridge for a little bit after putting on a nice, thick layer. The butter hardens a bit and then you can take it out and smooth it up with a bench scraper or hot knife. I must admit, however, I've never gotten it as perfectly smooth as a crusting buttercream, but the idea of shortening based buttercreams are just icky to me! I also have better luck with it with the addition of some melted white chocolate chips (if it's vanilla) or semi-sweet chocolate if I'm making chocolate.

hollynme2 Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #3 of 4

Thank goodness this happens to other people too! I also dislike the shortening icings and only go for the smbc/imbc frostings. I cannot getnthem super smooth either, but at this point I would rather have great tasting buttercream.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 4

Lay it on nice and thick and use a bench scraper to remove the excess. I smooth the top first and then put it on the sides and it's pretty easy to do. I can get it nice and smooth, but it takes some getting used to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%