Smoothing Swiss Merengue Buttercream??

Decorating By 59cakes Updated 19 May 2011 , 3:01am by lilmissbakesalot

59cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
59cakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me the best way to smooth swiss merengue buttercream. It never smooths as good as the fake buttercream but SMB tastes way better. Thanks for your help.

Sylvia

3 replies
Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 4

I have good luck smoothing it if I put it in the fridge for a little bit after putting on a nice, thick layer. The butter hardens a bit and then you can take it out and smooth it up with a bench scraper or hot knife. I must admit, however, I've never gotten it as perfectly smooth as a crusting buttercream, but the idea of shortening based buttercreams are just icky to me! I also have better luck with it with the addition of some melted white chocolate chips (if it's vanilla) or semi-sweet chocolate if I'm making chocolate.

HTH

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 19 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #3 of 4

Thank goodness this happens to other people too! I also dislike the shortening icings and only go for the smbc/imbc frostings. I cannot getnthem super smooth either, but at this point I would rather have great tasting buttercream.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 19 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 4

Lay it on nice and thick and use a bench scraper to remove the excess. I smooth the top first and then put it on the sides and it's pretty easy to do. I can get it nice and smooth, but it takes some getting used to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%