Marshmallow Fondant Issues

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 16 May 2011 , 9:26pm by peetz

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:02am
post #1 of 8

I've tried making marshmallow fondant on several occassions. It turns out fine and works great.....UNTIL.....the finsihed cake is set out for display at the event.....within about 30 minutes, the fondant has drawn so much moisture that it's turning into goo. This has happened at several different venues and different times of the year........

Anyone else had this issue? Anything that could be added [i.e. tylose] to help make it more stable?

7 replies
CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8

I make MMF but I add white chocolate chips and white karo syrup to mine. I have had excellent results. The ratio is 1/2 C of white choc. chips and Karo to 2 one lbs. bags of mini marshmallows. You may be warming the cake up too fast, such as taking from the cooler to a room that is too warm. Not sure what else could be causing the problem. Good luck.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:02am
post #3 of 8

That sounds so yummy to add white choc and karo, is it a 1/2 cup of each that you add?

CAKELADIE1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKELADIE1 Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, a half cup each of karo and white choc. I have had great results using this.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 8

Do you have a lot of humidity where you live? Maybe that's it. I live in a dry climate and I've never had that happen

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 8

I use the basic MMF recipe (marshmallows, conf. sugar, and water) all the time and never have that happen - wait, should I knock on wood? My cakes are kept at room temp. Do you put yours in the fridge? When the cake comes to room temp it could produce extra moisture that might cause the Fondant to turn soft.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

I use the basic MMF recipe (marshmallows, conf. sugar, and water) all the time and never have that happen - wait, should I knock on wood? My cakes are kept at room temp. Do you put yours in the fridge? When the cake comes to room temp it could produce extra moisture that might cause the Fondant to turn soft.

All my cakes are in the cooler overnight.....could be an issue.

I think I will try the suggestions about.....the white chocolate and corn syrup is like adding modeling chocolate....might make a difference.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 8

Has anyone used tylose powder to make it more pliable? I will try the karo and white choc trick, plus it sounds really tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%