5.13.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 14 May 2011 , 7:25pm by fabray13

noni12601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noni12601 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:19am
post #31 of 43

I'm making an adult cake one of the torso with male organ and another one sheet with male organ on top . I'm so nervous its for a friend any ideas ,its for the 20th of May .Has anyone made one with butter cream any tips will be greatly appreciated .Thanks

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:22am
post #32 of 43

Wow, Upat2, you win the busy race this week!

And obviously you've "heard" me calling my Cricut a big ol paperweight. icon_smile.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:35am
post #33 of 43

I'm not working on anything tonight...just trying to decide what to do for my son's 18th birthday. He prefers ice cream cakes from the local Ice Cream shop. icon_rolleyes.gif He's no fun! lol! I am also going to do a practice cake tomorrow...a baseball jersey opened up with the Superman "S" showing underneath. It will be my first fondant covered cake. I am doing this cake in June as the groom's cake for a friend's wedding and wanted time to do a couple of trial runs. It will be carrot cake with cream cheese filling, covered in bc and fondant. I have probably watched Sharon Zambito's fondant dvd 100 times...wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:51am
post #34 of 43

@Leah, what is this wafer paper you speak of?

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 14 May 2011 , 5:39am
post #35 of 43

I'm working on a purse cake that is going to kill me before morning. This is the 2nd version - the first one I tossed out. Can I just say that I HATE Fondx red.

It dries up so quickly you can't get anything done and it doesn't even look red, more like orange-red. Give me Satin Ice anyday for colors.

Anyways, now the purse in getting covered in black and like, Leah_s, I found black fondant and I'm happy. Told the customer and he's not totally happy but he's a nice guy and said he'll live with it. He ordered this cake with less than a weeks' notice for his wife's 40th b-day! I had to scramble to get any red fondant in town and that's all there was - Fondx. icon_evil.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:01am
post #36 of 43

Anyone else still up? Gotta make one more batch of buttercream to finish some cupcakes. Then gotta figure out how to handle the messages on a birthday cake and a first communion cake. Both are done otherwise. Think I'm still gonna end up being up all night : (

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:08am
post #37 of 43

I'm still up and will be for a while...it is only midnight here (since when is that early??? Yikes!) This quilting buttercream is for the birds. It is turning out ok, but definitely not my favorite thing to do.

leah_s Posted 14 May 2011 , 10:57am
post #38 of 43

[quote="lis73"]@Leah, what is this wafer paper you speak of?[/quote]

Wafer paper is the proper name for what a lot of people call rice paper.

baileysdaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baileysdaddy Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:16pm
post #39 of 43

leah_s, can you share a photo of your wafer paper flowers? I would love to see them! (Plus, I'm a visual learner, lol). icon_wink.gif

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:54pm
post #40 of 43

Wow, Leah! I had no idea you could make flowers out of rice paper. I have some research to do. Anyway you could point me in the right direction?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:56pm
post #41 of 43

OK I missed the Friday night cake club because I was working on a basketball hoop cake that will have the logo of the Dallas Mavericks. and may I say that I HATE that logo! It looks like it was done in a high school study hall class by a student that had been up all night playing Dungeons and Dragons. I'm cutting out the elements out of gum paste and piecing them together on a navy gum paste disc (colors are navy, royal blue, white and silver). AAAAGGGHHH! So that was what I was working on..and will be again later.

leah_s Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:22pm
post #42 of 43

I just cut the flowers in layers. Use any 5 or 6 petal flower. I cut at 1.5", 2", 2.5" and so on, use a dowel or skewer to curl the edges of the petals inward and use the tiniest bit of piping gel on the centers to stick them together. We punched a hole in the center of the ones today and put on a clear edible jewel.

I've made them 5" across and they're cool.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:25pm
post #43 of 43

Leah, where do you purchase the rice paper?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%