What Would You Do?

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 13 May 2011 , 4:20pm by costumeczar

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 5

I got a request to make a grooms cake, but not the wedding cake. It is not anyone I know, It is just someone that contacted my bakery regarding a grooms cake for her wedding, but my question is... who is doing the wedding cake??? I dont feel comfortable doing the grooms cake and not the wedding cake. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you do it? Am I over reacting?

4 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 5

Usually it's the other way around -- I won't supply a wedding cake if any other cakes are at the venue -- for two reasons: first, I don't want my cake being mixed up with someone else's cake (quality issues) and second, if someone gets sick at the venue I'm certainly not going to get into a he said/she said finger pointing argument over whose cake made them sick. As for your situation, I'm waiting to see what other offer on this.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:46am
post #3 of 5

I'll do a groom's cake for a rehearsal dinner but not for the wedding if I'm not making the wedding cake too. I had a bad experience delivering an awesome groom's cake to a reception where the wedding cake was horrible. I don't want anyone thinking that I made a crappy wedding cake if that happens again.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:04am
post #4 of 5

This ? has been floating around cake boards for a very long time. Most of us take the stand as the other posters have already said.........basically 'no' BUT....
Watching all the cake shows on TV I remember one time Christiphor Garen(sp?) (from Orange County beach area, CA) mentioned he was dong a groooms cake where someone else was doing the wedding cake. My thoughts now are if such a big name decorator can NOT be concerned maybe we should not be either.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

This ? has been floating around cake boards for a very long time. Most of us take the stand as the other posters have already said.........basically 'no' BUT....
Watching all the cake shows on TV I remember one time Christiphor Garen(sp?) (from Orange County beach area, CA) mentioned he was dong a groooms cake where someone else was doing the wedding cake. My thoughts now are if such a big name decorator can NOT be concerned maybe we should not be either.

If he had delivered the groom's cake to the place where the crappy wedding cake I saw had been, he wouldn't do it either! It was so bad the bridesmaids were waiting for me to see if I could fix what the other baker had done. And no, I couldn't.

Maybe he needs the money, so he'll do it. Don't think that there aren't people on the cake shows who aren't doing as well as they appear to be on the financial end of it. Or maybe he just doesn't care icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%