Painting With Vodka????/ Is This Okay???

Decorating By MadKat Updated 13 May 2011 , 8:18pm by Shelley51708

MadKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadKat Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 13

This is probably a stupid question, but I need to paint "chrome" hubcaps for a cake I'm making this weekend. I have silver petal dust, and I've heard that I can mix it with vodka to "paint" it on, but is this something that is frowned upon? I've painted fondant a couple times with just airbrush colors which are super watery and it takes forever to dry! I've heard that mixing your airbrush colors with vodka makes it dry faster, but wouldn't the fondant taste like, um, GROSS after adding vodka?!?!?! Please help!!!

12 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 13

You don't need to add anything to the airbrush colors. The idea of painting with them is that they are already thinned down. I have used them a lot and they do dry, but if it is very humid it will take a longer time for it to happen.

As far as mixing alcohols with stuff, my alcohol of choice is everclear. It has a very high alcohol content and evaporates really fast. And no they don't leave a strong alcohol taste behind.

You can use them or extracts that are high in alcohol content and mix them with your color gels or with powder food colors to paint with.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

Hmmm, i purchase my vodka in really tiny bottles because I am not a drinker. Can you buy everclear the same way?

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 13

when i paint with vodka, i buy the vanilla vodka. it doesn't go bad, ever. the vodka taste evaporates but leaves the vanilla taste behind, so it tastes like i used "real" vanilla to paint with.

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 13

I have no idea if you can buy it in a smaller bottle. I do know that some states don't sell it because of the alcohol content.

I do drink, but not the ever clear, it is strictly for the cakes only. I'm only on my second bottle of it, and I've been using it for like 8 plus years.

ltlepaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltlepaw Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 13

I used silver dust on the bow and peace signs on the God awful pink and purple cake my neice wanted in my profile pics. I used vodka to paint it on, no one said a thing about the taste other than yum icon_smile.gif Seriously though, I think it's such a small amount and it evaporates anyway.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 13

I paint with lemon extract. Works just fine, and for the little amount that I paint, I think it is cheaper than buying a bottle of vodka. But the little bottles of vodka are a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

MadKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadKat Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all the input guys!

(TexasSugar) I don't think I've ever known anyone who actually DRINKS Everclear! That stuff is AWFUL! The only thing I've ever seen it used for was frat boys using it to spit fire in college! Haha!!!

(chefjess819) Vanilla Vodka is a great idea!

(cakegirl1973) When you use lemon extract does it leave behind a strong taste? I know I've gotten extract splashed in my mouth before cleaning a Tablespoon measure and I almost threw up!!! Does it taste different once it's been painted on and dried?

I think I'm going to try all of these ideas and just taste them for myself icon_wink.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 13 May 2011 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 13

The little bottles of Vodka that I bought were only 70 cents. icon_wink.gif Cheaper for me than vanilla.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 13

I'm not a drinker either, however, I use Smirnoff Raspberry infused vodka to paint with.. mmm the smell of it is yummy.. Ok, I will admit that it does taste good with lemonade icon_wink.gif

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 13

29 years ago, had everclear with hawaiian punch. Really good, but I suppose after one of those you'll be snockered and the flavor won't really matter after that. icon_lol.gif But I use vodka when painting.

TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 13

Oh I'm not saying you can't drink it. I just prefer to drink things I can drink several of before I start feeling them. icon_wink.gif

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 13

I used vodka (shot for me, some for cake, lol, j/k) but I do definitely like the idea of the vanilla vodka, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%