Help With "paint" Ideas For Paint Can Cake

Decorating By chenya Updated 9 May 2011 , 3:11am by chenya

chenya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chenya Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a paint can cake this week for contest at work. Theme is Paint the Courthouse Purple. It is to raise money for Relay for Life. Anyway...I am looking for ways to make the "Paint". I thought about thinning down my buttercream and just using that. Is there a better way? I thought it would be nice to use something that would help give it the wet look. Any suggestions?

5 replies
hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 6

I'd think that piping gel would really give it the wet look you're looking for. But buttercream would be fine too. If it's going to be eaten I'd probably stick with the BC since I wouldn't want to serve anyone a big dollop of piping gel. Blech

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 6

I made lava for a volcano cake and just used runny royal icing....I poured some over the top of the cake and just let it run....on the way down the sides it firmed a bit and stayed put through a 3 hour car ride.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 6

Couldn't you use melted candy melts or color some pourable white chocolate ganache?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6

What about melted candy melts..you get true colors, taste good enough to eat and should set shiny.

chenya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chenya Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6

I agree about the piping gel. Would be ok in small amounts but not in the large amount I'll need. Eww! I like the royal icing idea...may have to give that a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%