camomama5 Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:57pm
post #1 of

Do wedding cake makers use boxed cake mix for their wedding cakes? What does everyone think? I really don't know. Just a question. I thought it would be cheating to do that to a bride that is paying for a wedding cake but apparently it is done often. So I guess I don't really have an opinion either way. Just want to know how often this is done. No judgement at all here. Thanks!!

24 replies
mplaidgirl2 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of

I use scratch mix but I know a ton of people that used doctored cake mixes. I don't know how many people that just use straight box mix.

If I'm doing a bake sale I 100% use doctored box mixes. Its just cheaper.
And Kids like it better

lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #3 of

Some do...

I am a scratch baker 100% of the time, but that's my business. If you do the doctored mix or even the straight mix for your business then I wouldn't change things just for wedding clients. Not only willl it not be consistent with your "normal" cakes, but if you aren't good at scratch baking your product will suffer. It's not easy to get consistently good results with scratch baking if you aren't well versed in the methods.

So I say the answer is it depends... do what you love to do and not what you feel like you HAVE to do.

icon_biggrin.gif

camomama5 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of

I guess I am wondering what brides expect generally speaking. Do they care? Do they ask that??

lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #5 of

Some do and some don't. It really depends on the person. Some will ask and some won't... if they do ask you just have to be honest. If they don't want the mix they will move on and you seek out other clients. If your cakes are tasty... they sell themselves (pretty much anyway... LOL).

nhbaker Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:24pm
post #6 of

I offer many flavors of cake, some scratch and some different versions of the WASC cake. I must say that the WASC cakes are BY FAR my most popular cakes -- no matter what the occasion!

I think most people are more interested in a cake that tastes good, regardless of how its made. (and PLEASE don't jump all over me for this, I said most not all).

P.S. I don't "advertise" the fact that some of my cakes use a box mix as an "ingredient" but I don't hide it either. It's clearly stated on my website and when/if clients ask, I'm honest with them.

SHYLERScakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #7 of

I think it depends on your area...i live on such an isolated island in hawaii that there is no virtual access to a custom anything (population 3,000)!!! however, we are an island with a couple of luxury communities (rich people who buy million dollar homes and live here 1 month out of the year), so I have found a unique niche. While the locals here prefer the taste of wasc or costco type cakes, these million dollar home owners prefer the custom stuff. Best of both worlds for me! (On a side note, I never used canned frosting.)

Sangriacupcake Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYLERScakes

I think it depends on your area...i live on such an isolated island in hawaii that there is no virtual access to a custom anything (population 3,000)!!! however, we are an island with a couple of luxury communities (rich people who buy million dollar homes and live here 1 month out of the year), so I have found a unique niche.




I want your job! icon_lol.gif

teezed Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:44pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYLERScakes

I think it depends on your area...i live on such an isolated island in hawaii that there is no virtual access to a custom anything (population 3,000)!!! however, we are an island with a couple of luxury communities (rich people who buy million dollar homes and live here 1 month out of the year), so I have found a unique niche.



I want your job! icon_lol.gif




me too!!

mommachris Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:22pm

I believe the politically correct term is "Commercial base"...box mix is so 1960's. icon_lol.gif

mommachris

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:39pm

I worked at a shop expecting to see a ton of scratch cakes... The day I started baking it was all box mixes!!! It's production and time.

She had so much business she had to turn them away!!

Always made $400-$250 per cake!!

She made 4-6 a week.

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:42pm

Sooooooo many of today's brides are sooooo used to having box mix cakes that they would not really like scratch. I did 1,000s of wedding cakes using both straight out of the box and doctored mixes. I *never* felt I was cheating a bride! They have a tasting (or eat my cake somewhere else) so they know what to expect. If they don't like the taste, they don't order - simple as that.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:47pm

In my business I use all scratch cakes but this summer I am doing a wedding cake as a partial gift. So for them I am doing a box cake (especially since he said that he was quoted 75 for a 3 tiered cake talk about unrealistic) because that is what the groom is used to and I am not going to waste my valuable butter on doing something that they won't like nor appreciate. LOL

FromScratchSF Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:55pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomama5

Do wedding cake makers use boxed cake mix for their wedding cakes? What does everyone think? I really don't know. Just a question. I thought it would be cheating to do that to a bride that is paying for a wedding cake but apparently it is done often. So I guess I don't really have an opinion either way. Just want to know how often this is done. No judgement at all here. Thanks!!




IMHO (and I think generally accepted idea), Unless a bakery or custom baker advertises they are a scratch bakery, they are using doctored mixes for one or more of their cake flavors.

The general public doesn't ask the "scratch" question because they assume bakeries bake from scratch, just like you did. But most bakeries don't.

Customers think they are paying for a cake. But bakeries and custom bakers are charging for labor and skill to make the cake, not the cost of flour.

This is changing in a lot of areas, mine included. People want scratch, fresh, organic, not frozen, not fake etc. Maybe your area is next if you are asking the question?

Jen

EDIT: I say "scratch, fresh, organic, not frozen, not fake" going direct from what my customers request from me. Not as a slight to my fellow bakers that have posted above.

MamaMia808 Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:43am

I agree with many posters that it depends on what you like to do and what your customers want. Personally I only bake from scratch, no matter what cake/occasion I'm baking for. Happy customer = happy baker. icon_smile.gif

fabray13 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:25am

I bake both scratch and doctored box mixes, just depends on flavor. I havent found some scratch recipes that taste as good as some of the box mixes. Although i think some mixes are horrible and completely not edible! I dont think a wedding cake is expected to be made from scratch, as long as it tastes yummy. on a side note, I heard on the radio that the blue coloring added to some foods, like blueberry yogurt, is the same dye that is used to dye denim. Gross! Its probably a good thing to look into organic recipes =)

camomama5 Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:54am

I live out in the country but am 15 minutes from town(most of my business probably won't come from right out here). And half hour from a city. I don't think people care much out here but I just didn't know what brides expect. So I guess it doesn't matter as long as they like the taste. When all of you say "doctored" can I ask specifically what you mean? Thanks so much for everyone's time!

VanillaCoke Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:20pm

WASC = 'doctored' mix. You take a mix and add what you want to it. I use WASC variations for all of my cakes. People rave about them, and I have a 95% booking rate for tastings. I always hear about the other lady's 'dry cakes'...I know she's probably using her scratch recipe, but people just don't like it. No one has ever asked me about my recipes, but I wouldn't tell them a darn thing, unless they have a food allergy or something.

PistachioCranberry Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:32pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

In my business I use all scratch cakes but this summer I am doing a wedding cake as a partial gift. So for them I am doing a box cake (especially since he said that he was quoted 75 for a 3 tiered cake talk about unrealistic) because that is what the groom is used to and I am not going to waste my valuable butter on doing something that they won't like nor appreciate. LOL




Why wouldn't you bake like you normally do since you could possibly have new clients from this wedding?

klutzy_baker Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:56pm

I'm a scratch baker. But I do this because it's a hobby and I find it relaxing.

But I don't really care if anyone else bakes from scratch. If it tastes good, that's all that matters. So I would buy a wedding cake if it happened to be from a commercial mix as long at it tasted good....and it seems like a lot of people here get great reviews that make these cakes.

I should give a WASC cake a try some day. I've never made a modified commercial mix.

camomama5 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:03pm

wonderful! thanks for your time. Some of the comments made me laugh.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:50pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioCranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

In my business I use all scratch cakes but this summer I am doing a wedding cake as a partial gift. So for them I am doing a box cake (especially since he said that he was quoted 75 for a 3 tiered cake talk about unrealistic) because that is what the groom is used to and I am not going to waste my valuable butter on doing something that they won't like nor appreciate. LOL



Why wouldn't you bake like you normally do since you could possibly have new clients from this wedding?




Good question but I kinda think that it's because I am going out of town to do the cake and I doubt that any new clients would come from that. I used to bake cakes for them about 6+years ago when I only used box cake mix. I have made the conversion to all scratch and I honestly am afraid that they won't like the cake because they are used to box mix. Plus it offended me that he told me someone quoted him 75 for a 3 tier cake in fondant. In the end he told me that they would give me a 100 for the cake and could I gift the rest as if he was doing me a favor, plus I have to drive 6 hrs with the cake. If I didn't care for him, the bride and his parents I would have laughed at him really hard. I know I shouldn't have let it offend me but it did. I still have time to change it because the wedding is in july.

PistachioCranberry Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:00am
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioCranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

In my business I use all scratch cakes but this summer I am doing a wedding cake as a partial gift. So for them I am doing a box cake (especially since he said that he was quoted 75 for a 3 tiered cake talk about unrealistic) because that is what the groom is used to and I am not going to waste my valuable butter on doing something that they won't like nor appreciate. LOL



Why wouldn't you bake like you normally do since you could possibly have new clients from this wedding?



Good question but I kinda think that it's because I am going out of town to do the cake and I doubt that any new clients would come from that. I used to bake cakes for them about 6+years ago when I only used box cake mix. I have made the conversion to all scratch and I honestly am afraid that they won't like the cake because they are used to box mix. Plus it offended me that he told me someone quoted him 75 for a 3 tier cake in fondant. In the end he told me that they would give me a 100 for the cake and could I gift the rest as if he was doing me a favor, plus I have to drive 6 hrs with the cake. If I didn't care for him, the bride and his parents I would have laughed at him really hard. I know I shouldn't have let it offend me but it did. I still have time to change it because the wedding is in july.




Oh, okay.

indydebi Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:59am

Made straight-from-the-box-never-doctored wedding cakes for 30 years. In the last 2-3 years, I started adding dream whip to the box mix. If someone wants to call that doctored ..... well, ok. icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:19am

I do doctored mixes, and they actually cost me more to make than a *scratch* cake. I have all the same ingredients....organic eggs, fresh dairy, sugar, flour, imported chocolate...PLUS the cost of the mix added to it. I do tastings with all of my brides, they know exactly what they are getting, and I have never had anyone not like the cake. My booking rate is exactly as I want it to be. Do what works for you and your business!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%