Gum Paste Cake Toppers

Decorating By gingerpup84 Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm by kristiemarie

gingerpup84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerpup84 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen several photos of cakes with toppers that appear to be made out of gumpaste. Especially like letters and numbers. I was wondering how these were done? It appears they might be shaped with wire, then covered in gumpaste or fondant. If so, what type of wire and what gauge? I was thinking a wire jig might work to shape something like this, but does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks,
Emilie

4 replies
janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 5

I have examples here of two different kinds and both are from gumpaste but do not need any on the inside.

The first one is just gumpaste rolled out to approx half inch thickness, embossed then left to dry. The second is just rolled out into a sausage shape thinner at the ends and then placed in the shape of the number and left to dry flat.

Hope that makes sense. Jx

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2005650
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1786097

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

The numbers that I make to go on top of my cakes are free-formed out of fondant then I insert small wooden skewers in them after they are made. I let them dry for several days (usually like 3-4 days). The skewers are put in them so I will have something to stick in the cake. There are no wires in mine. There are several on my photo page if you would like to look at those.

CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 10:46am
post #4 of 5

I don't think you'll need wire, just hand shape them out with either fondant or gumpaste and after a few days, once they are dry, they should be sturdy enough and will hold their shape. I too would insert a small skewer to stick in the cake so that they stand upright.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

Use gumpaste. Fondant may not be hard enough, depending on how long you let it dry and how big they are. Gumpaste will be dried in a day or two.

I am doing this same thing tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%