cakesrock Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of

When I pour the colored Wilton candy melts into the moulds, I can't seem to get the detail and precision I would like. The colors tend to run together. The squeeze bottles didn't work great, so I switched to silicone cupcake liners. But I still don't feel I'm doing a great job .....Any advice?
TIA

7 replies
cakesrock Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:15am
post #2 of

Perhaps it's the technique I am using ? Any ideas??

TexasSugar Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:59pm
post #3 of

When I paint details I let them harder before adding the next color. You want to make sure your candy melts are warm enough to flow, but they shouldn't be really hot. I usually put my candy melts in a plastic decorating bag and pipe it into the mold to fill it up.

crisseyann Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:09pm
post #4 of

Agrees with TexasSugar. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesrock Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

When I paint details I let them harder before adding the next color. You want to make sure your candy melts are warm enough to flow, but they shouldn't be really hot. I usually put my candy melts in a plastic decorating bag and pipe it into the mold to fill it up.

Great - thanks! Do you heat the bag up in the microwave when the candy melts start to harden? And do you use tips?
TIA

TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:45pm
post #6 of

No tips on the bag, just snip the end off. I do heat my bags in the microwave, short periods of time. You can also lay them on a heating pad to help keep them soft.

I use paint brushes to do the details, bags to do the fill in.

cakesrock Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:23am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

No tips on the bag, just snip the end off. I do heat my bags in the microwave, short periods of time. You can also lay them on a heating pad to help keep them soft.

I use paint brushes to do the details, bags to do the fill in.

Thanks so much - great suggestions for technique.... I never even thought of paint brushes, but it makes perfect sense. I luv your cakes, by the way- you do awesome detail!

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2011 , 4:43pm
post #8 of

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Glad I could help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%