Periwinkle Vent

Decorating By BakedAlaska Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 3:56am by BakedAlaska

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a little frustrated! I'm making a cake that's due in 3 hours. The order was for a periwinkle colored cake with butterflies. Okay, got it.

I posted a photo of the periwinkle fondant on my cake FB. The client sees it, and she calls a few hours later (like 10 minutes ago) to say it's too blue. She was hoping more for a light purple. Really??

So I'm trying to remedy the situation. It's too late to make lilac fondant, the cake is already covered in the periwinkle blue.... Did I mention the cake is due in 3 HOURS? So I thought I'd try lustering the cake with purple luster dust. Well, it looks like crap. My lovely cake is now a mess. I've only lustered the very top of the top tier (2-tier cake). I'm debating just tossing another circle of the blue fondant over it to cover it up and proceeding with my original design....

Just frustrated. Needed to vent. Sorry. icon_sad.gif

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 9

Can you wipe the lustre dust off with a damp cloth and try and airbrush a lavender/periwinkle on??I've wiped off lustre dust and airbrush before.Takes a bit of time but it may work.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 9

Ugh sorry for your frustration. Other than airbrush or yes rolling new fondant that's more purple in color you're kinda stuck icon_sad.gif Maybe you could just till the sides with a more purple fondant? hope you can get everything worked out!!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 9

ugh! sorry you have to re do a cake. i hate that but before you do more make sure that the color came our correct in the pic. sometimes shades, specially blues and purples, dont read well in a camera.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 9

Just show her this: http://www.crayola.com/colorcensus/americas_favorites/display.cfm?color=268

(Because, of course, Crayola is the ultimate authority on color. icon_smile.gif)

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 9

This wont help you now. But this is a perfect example of why I don't send people pics of the cake as it's being made. They will always find something to pick at. And they don't understand why it isn't simple to change these things.

Sorry, hope it works out okay.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

Just show her this: http://www.crayola.com/colorcensus/americas_favorites/display.cfm?color=268

(Because, of course, Crayola is the ultimate authority on color. icon_smile.gif)

icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

This wont help you now. But this is a perfect example of why I don't send people pics of the cake as it's being made. They will always find something to pick at. And they don't understand why it isn't simple to change these things.

EXACTLY!!!!!

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:56am
post #9 of 9

Yes, I know.... You're all right. I never actually post a photo of a completed cake prior to the event. I do, sometimes, post pics of little parts of the cake in progress. In this case, I was actually kind of hoping the client would see the fondant color and comment something like, "oooo, nice color"... NOT!

In her defense, I know it wasn't her fault and she was trying to be nice about it. I just need to learn to be more diligent when a request for a specific color is part of a cake order. Next time I'll have the client provide me with an example of the shade they have in mind!

I ended up just adding a 2nd layer of the same fondant to cover the top luster fiasco. (I don't have an airbrush... But wish I did!) I added some purple to some of the butterflies on the cake and left it at that. I posted a photo in my album.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2004324

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%