Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By Loloface Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 12:58am by cownsj

Loloface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loloface Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:02am
post #1 of 6

Hello!
A long time friend of mine recently invited me to her baby shower that is rapidly approaching. She asked if I would mind making a cake to bring, which is great since I've been looking to try something new. I'm an avid baker, although my specialty is cupcakes. I'm still waiting to hear back about how many guests, but I was looking for some suggestions. The shower colors are pink and yellow. She wants vanilla cake, with a strawberry filling.

I'm thinking about doing something floral-y, with either buttercream or fondant roses. My questions are, since Ive worked pretty minimally with both, which do you find simpler? My piping skills are pretty good.

I know its something I need to practice a few times before the shower, so which is easier to practice with? And do you have recommendations about the cake itself? Like, if I do fondant flowers, should I cover the cake with fondant as well? Likewise with the buttercream?

I haven't worked much with fondant but I pick things up pretty quickly and I've done a ton of research. Buttercream is tastier, but I think maybe fondant flowers may be easier since their "sculpted" ( for lack of a better word) rather than piped.

Or I even tossed around the idea of doing cupcakes, and doing a little rose on each. That of course depends on how many people are attending.

I would LOVE any suggestions for the cake, its my first! I haven't really done much planning, yet. But its coming up quickly and I would like to pick up some practice supplies in the next few days!
Thanks!

5 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:51am
post #2 of 6

Maybe do a buttercream iced cake with fondant accents...either cut out flowers or ribbon roses on top - whatever you're more comfortable with. Hope that helps!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 6

I agree - a buttercream iced cake with fondant flowers
Fondant roses and calla lillies are very easy to do and are very pretty -
you could do pink & yellow flowers - with a white cake
And even add a little sleeping baby made out of fondant on top
Or decorate the cake with fondant stripes!
Have fun!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with the others. I find working with fondant to make flowers faster and easier.
That is from an avowed b'cream gal icon_smile.gif Fondant flowers can be more 3-d than most b'cream ones. To me that is more impressive icon_smile.gif

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 6

Welcome Loloface!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #6 of 6

The other advantage to making fondant flowers is that you can make them now and just add to the cake when the time comes. That takes alot of stress off you. I definitely prefer working in fondant, but I do like buttercream with fondant accents.

Do you have a copy of the invitations that you can take design ideas from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%