I Thought I'd Share The Cuteness...

Decorating By pbhobby Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 1:18am by pbhobby

pbhobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbhobby Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 25

I have several of Sharon Zambito's video's. BTW, they are WONDERFUL!!! Anyway, my 4 year old was watching one of them with me the other day. Yup, she sat and watch the entire thing! Today, I was cooking dinner and she came up to me and asked me if she could watch the cake decorating video again. Looks like I have a next generation cake decorator on my hands. icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 25

Cute. My 4yo son always wants to 'help' when I'm caking. I always have to leave him one or two cupcakes to decorate whenever I make a batch.

pbhobby Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 25

That is sweet Coral3 icon_biggrin.gif
Anybody else have a next generation cake decorator?

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:49am
post #4 of 25

That is too cute. Maybe that can be the next reality show. "The Next Generation Cake Decorator" and they have a bunch of kids decorating cakes!

pbhobby Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:56am
post #5 of 25

awatterson, I think that sounds like an awesome idea icon_smile.gif

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #6 of 25

My 3 year old nieces loves helping me bake, and wants to frost, and looks at cakes with me. I think I have a future assistant! icon_wink.gif

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #7 of 25

that is so sweet. I have 2 grand daughters (3 and 4 yrs old) that love to "work" with fondant when Nana is making flowers and such. Today, they wanted to take the frosting bag and "help" me with my cake. It's really funny, because the first thing they say to me when they see me is: Nana, can I have some fondant?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:59am
post #8 of 25

so cute!

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:23am
post #9 of 25

My 13 year old son helps me all the time. The Mario cake I just made, he did the little mushrooms, and he has a great eye so I ask his opinion a lot, especially on the Mario cake!! He baked his first cake by himself for his Uncles birthday when he was 10! Our last name is Baker so it must be in our blood icon_lol.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:33am
post #10 of 25

My daughters (6 and 4) love to help me. They like to help pour the ingredients in after I measure them, help with the frosting, and of course the fondant. The 6 year old likes to know what each ingredient does for the cake and why it goes in. So maybe a future food scientist???? So funny. I am just a hobbyist, but they don't get to "help" unless it is strictly for us. It doesn't matter if my husband gets a little kid goop in his cupcake, but the friends, well, they might not like it too much. LOL

On another note, my kids think that everyone deserves a cake for their birthday. But not only any cake, but the prettiest and happiest cake ever. The other night during prayer my 4 year old asked, "God, can you please make sure that everyone gets a super pretty cake for their birthday? Because everyone should feel loved." It makes all the hours in the kitchen worth it. Love them!!!!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:50am
post #11 of 25

pinkbandana it is always great when kids follow in our footsteps. My mother started the tradition...My half-sister revived it...I got started & my daughter dibble & dabs in it. She is an artist by nature & she helps my half-sister with her decorations sometimes (the drawing part) & she makes different things out of RKT one of the cutest things was a RKT Piano it was really cute.

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:29am
post #12 of 25

Love this thread! My two girls (8 and 5) also love to help me. They say when we get back to the states they want to work in my bakery...My 11 year old son just likes to help EAT the cake! lol

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:56am
post #13 of 25

My seven year old son has been helping me bake since he was two or three. His first job was to "dump" the ingredients into the bowl after I measured. He has since moved on to eggs (that was a big milestone!) and measuring by himself. He also likes to know what each ingredient does. My two year old daughter is currently "helping" me make sugar flowers for her birthday cake this weekend. She loves to roll fondant more than anything and is a pretty good stirrer as well. For the record, she wants for her birthday a pink and purple cake with pink and purple inside and pink and purple outside.

I actually just promised my son that in a couple weeks I will give them two 6" cake layers and some icing and they can ice it themselves and decorate as they see fit. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

pbhobby Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:59pm
post #14 of 25

[quote="On another note, my kids think that everyone deserves a cake for their birthday. But not only any cake, but the prettiest and happiest cake ever. The other night during prayer my 4 year old asked, "God, can you please make sure that everyone gets a super pretty cake for their birthday? Because everyone should feel loved." It makes all the hours in the kitchen worth it. Love them!!!![/quote]

mom2twogrlz, I love this! This IS the reason why I love my hobby so much.

pbhobby Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:00pm
post #15 of 25

Such great stories icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing everyone.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 25

Cute!

I also sew so I make my own aprons: 50s style vintage looking ones...with a matching one for my 3 year old! We wear our matching apron, I have my big fondant roll and her with her small one, and she rolls her little balls of scrap fondant I give her and covers her 4" dummy over and over.

Soooooo adorable!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbandana

[quote="On another note, my kids think that everyone deserves a cake for their birthday. But not only any cake, but the prettiest and happiest cake ever. The other night during prayer my 4 year old asked, "God, can you please make sure that everyone gets a super pretty cake for their birthday? Because everyone should feel loved." It makes all the hours in the kitchen worth it. Love them!!!!

mom2twogrlz, I love this! This IS the reason why I love my hobby so much.[/quote]

I know it!! That is the reason I spend hours upon hours in "Cakeland". That is what we call it. They know when mommy is in Cakeland they are on their best behavior. They don't mind either, because they LOVE what comes out of Cakeland!!! LOL

Happy Caking!!!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

[quote="On another note, my kids think that everyone deserves a cake for their birthday. But not only any cake, but the prettiest and happiest cake ever. The other night during prayer my 4 year old asked, "God, can you please make sure that everyone gets a super pretty cake for their birthday? Because everyone should feel loved." It makes all the hours in the kitchen worth it. Love them!!!!

I know it!! That is the reason I spend hours upon hours in "Cakeland". That is what we call it. They know when mommy is in Cakeland they are on their best behavior. They don't mind either, because they LOVE what comes out of Cakeland!!! LOL

Happy Caking!!![/quote]

I love Cakeland! so cute! That is what they call it around my house...but I must say my 14 yr old daughter told me the other day, that it is my fault she doesn't like cake anymore. (you got to love your teenage daughters...they don't hold anything back, and really do know more than you...haha icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif )

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:22pm
post #19 of 25

I have two girls, almost 7 and 2.5. they both love to play with fondant. i just give them a little chunk and they are busy for a while with that one little piece of fondant.

I also get alot of dirt/mud/grass cakes, lol. they have a play kitchen outside and everytime i ask what they are making they always say they are making me a cake, and of course I have to "eat" it and its always really good. haha

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:55pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaSandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

Happy Caking!!!

I love Cakeland! so cute! That is what they call it around my house...but I must say my 14 yr old daughter told me the other day, that it is my fault she doesn't like cake anymore. (you got to love your teenage daughters...they don't hold anything back, and really do know more than you...haha icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif )[/quote]

We called "The Zone" here. My six year old son loves helping put everything in the bowl as well as cracking the eggs. Cracking the eggs is his favorite part. He has been doing it since he was 4, and he has never once gotten any eggshells in the bowl (actually measuring cup...then they go into the bowl...just in case). He is also the most willing to taste test the icing too... you know... to make sure it tastes good. Got to love 'em!

pbhobby Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:03am
post #21 of 25

Once the cake is all done, if both kids (2 and 4 years old) have been really good while Mommy's in "Cakeville", they both get a spoon full of buttercream. They love that!

BTW, we've never called it "Cakeville" before but I just loved that you all call it "Cakeland" and "The Zone" I just had to come up with my own name. So from now on....it's Cakeville! icon_biggrin.gif

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #22 of 25

My 5 yr old son loves helping me make cakes; it's kind of become something special we do together. For his 5th birthday last month I put together a set of tools and supplies as a gift for him (who needs an Easy Bake Oven? lol)
He loves watching cake shows with me and will even comment if someone is doing something the wrong way (well, wrong according to him!)

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:38am
post #23 of 25

My 3 year old daughter was never interested in helping me in the kitchen until recently when her grandmother gave her her own apron, now she loves to measure and stir. She doesn't ever try to help me decorate, but when she was tiny, I had to make sure my frosting was out of reach, because if it wasn't, she would try to suck it right out of the bag through the tube. Yum, right?! Ugh.

My daughter in her little apron: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6503160&l=afa6db8b3a&id=672533772

I love these adorable future baker/decorator stories!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:56am
post #24 of 25

Yeah, my 4 year old has been obsessed with cakes since she turned 3. She sleeps with cake books. Not kidding.

For Christmas I fed the obsession and made a 2 tiered dummy cake in fondant with a blue ribbon on each tier. I bought a topper, a stand, and made gumpaste decorations. It is the only thing she still plays with from Christmas, it is decorated in hair bobbles and do-dads, and she sets her Princess table with the cake, fully decorated and set out for a cake tasting when I have bridal appts.

Her new favorite show is Amazing wedding cakes, we watch them on Itunes and nothing makes her happier.

And she is my biggest cheerleader and harshest critic- I made a few topsy turvy cakes this past summer and she was NOT happy and thought I should "fix" them before they went out the door.

She comes on almost all my wedding deliveries and critiques the flowers, room and dancefloor.

We've created a monster. icon_smile.gif

pbhobby Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:18am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

And she is my biggest cheerleader and harshest critic- I made a few topsy turvy cakes this past summer and she was NOT happy and thought I should "fix" them before they went out the door.

She comes on almost all my wedding deliveries and critiques the flowers, room and dancefloor.

We've created a monster. icon_smile.gif

My 4 year old is the same way. I can always count on her for an honest opinion. Weather I ask for it or not. lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%