Beaterblade- Beware...

Lounge By foxymomma521 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 8:23pm by tiggy2

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 14

I just need to vent here. In October I purchased a new Cuisinart mixer, and in November I purchased a Beaterblade for it from surlatable. By mid December, I stopped baking entirely due to complications with my pregnancy, and did not touch my mixer again until I lost my baby last month. The first time I tried baking cookies after getting home from the hospital it broke, and this is not the first one I've had break on me. I also had one for my 6qt Kitchenaid, and that one also broke while making Christmas cookies in December '09. I replaced it then, thinking it was a fluke, but now I obviously see that there is a flaw in their product.
I wrote them a few days ago to let them know how unhappy I am with having multiple blades break, and now I am more than unhappy with their customer service too. After several emails back in forth, the woman I was speaking with went from telling me there was a warranty and she would replace it to telling me that she would sell me a new one for the cost of $22.50. Seriously?! Apparantly if I didn't take a picture of it when it broke (why would I if I didn't know about the warranty) there is nothing she can do to help me. SHe originally didn't even email me back, I had to email her two times in a row to get her to respond and that was what she said. I will not waste another penny on their product, and wanted to stongly caution anyone else on doing the same thumbsdown.gif

13 replies
craise79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craise79 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 14

Are you kidding me?! Was she implying that you were trying to rip her off for $20....what a joke

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 14

That's odd. I have had two beater blades for a couple of years, and neither of them have had any problems.

foxymomma521 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 14

I wish! I really like the product, but having two of them break, I won't waste the money on another.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:13am
post #5 of 14

I have been using the same one for a least two years straight with not problems.

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 14

I have nothing but positive things to say about BeaterBlade's customer service! My blade did break about a month ago and my husband did e-mail their company to inquire if there was a recall or a defect with their product. He almost immediately had an e-mail back from customer service! We happily obliged with sending them a picture of the broken blade and I had a new beater blade on it's way. My husband and I have found that with most companies, all you need to do is send them the broken product or a picture, and they are usually more than happy to try to fix it or replace it. I do generally let my customer service friendly husband handle these phone calls and e-mails, because I tend to be too demanding and probably send off a bad vibe!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 14

Given that both blades broke while making cookies, I'd simply say that the dough was too stiff for the blade.

I use my BeaterBlade for batters only--never, ever, for stiff doughs.

I don't feel that the style of the blade is proper for cookie doughs.

For stiff doughs, I use......the dough hook, or I blend the dough only to the point of being about 75% combined and then I mix in the rest of the dry ingredients in by hand.

Actually, be glad that the blade broke before the machine burned out! That would have been a lot more expensive!

Sorry, but I think it was operator error.

Rae

foxymomma521 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 14

the second blade broke the instant I lowered it into the bowl to cream the butter. But thanks.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 14

The beater wasn't too low in the bowl or running in a "dry" area of the bowl?

If there's no lubricant (butter, oil, water, egg, etc.) between the bowl & the edge of the blade, mine will squeak alot & stick.

The first time I used it, I did have to raise it a bit by adjusting the height screw on my KA.

Rae

foxymomma521 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 14

Nope. I was baking with cold butter though. As I stated earlier delivered my stillborn son on Tuesday, and on Friday I was desperate to get my mind off of being sad. So I decided to bake cookies and really didn't care if the butter was cold as long as I was up and occupied.
My problem with their company is that she told me she'd replace it, and asked me to tell her what model I had. I gave her the info and she told me that it was a known problem with that blade, but the newer ones don't break. When I explained that I didn't have a pic (honestly, I didn't know there was a warranty, and taking a picture was really the last thing on my mind at that point) she told me I would have to purchase another at cost. I liked having a Beaterblade, as a matter of fact, I have purchased 3 for me and another one as a gift, but I won't buy another.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 14

I do understand that this is a difficult time for you & I'm very sorry for your loss.

I do, however, understand their policy of requiring proof of breakage & that offering a blade at cost was most likely part of that policy when a customer had no physical proof --photo or actual item--of breakage.

In order to remain in business, they need to document their losses, too, or some might take advantage of them, having heard about "the known problem" and try to make false claims in order to get free product.

Several years ago, my son was fooling around on the school bus and his glasses flew out an open window onto a 4 lane road. I remembered that WalMart had a breakage replacement policy but when I called, I was told that without at least a "portion of the pair of glasses", they couldn't help me.
My DH & I drove to the site of the "accident" and when I spotted a lens sitting on the yellow lines, he pulled over & I ran out during a break in the traffic. I was able to recover 1 broken lense, the earpieces, and a badly crushed section of frame. I bagged them & delivered them to the WalMart Optical store. They re-made the Rx & all was well.
Had I found nothing, I would have been out of luck.

I'm sure that BeaterBlade wasn't trying to discriminate against you, but just following good business practices-- the same way that some bakers require uneaten cake to be returned when there's been a complaint about flavor, texture, color, etc.

Rae

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 2:56am
post #12 of 14

Are you talking about Sur La Table's return policy? They will replace anything, like Williams-Sonoma. But I do go to the stores. I have two blades that I have used forever, even in triple batches of chocolate chip cookies.

As already mentioned, look at the alignment of your blade. It may need to be adjusted.

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 1:38am
post #13 of 14

I am so sorry for your loss. Keeping your son, you, and the rest of your family in my prayers.

Beater blade people can go to where the sun doesn't shine! icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 14

I have the side swipe blade and it performs beautifully, you might try one of those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%