Rit Vs Fbct Vs Choc Transfer?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm by 2txmedics

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:02am
post #1 of 3

Of the 3 kinds of transfers, I have infinitely more experience with chocolate. I love that it dries instantly & is super strong. I don't like, though, that I have to remove it before cutting the cake or it'll break. I've done a few RITs, basically just to try it out. Never attempted FBCT. I'm wondering, why would a decorator choose one over another? Is one kind easier than another? Customers request one over another? I asked a customer if she wanted the image out of chocolate or icing and she said she doesn't care! I've heard FBCT cut nicely on a cake but that they must be applied at the last minute - true?

Thanks!

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 3

I have never asked what someone wanted when it came to the transfer, I just do which ever it is that I feel would work best.

I've only done some small flowers with the chocolate transfer. I liked it, but I don't think I, personally, could do detail work with it.

Royal icing transfers are great when you may not have alot of time to do a bunch of decorating when the cake is due, since they need to be done about 48 hours ahead of time. They can be done weeks ahead of time. Another plus to them is that they can stand up around the cake or on top of the cake. These would be the ones that people say you should put them on last minute. Unless you are putting the cake in the fridge or in an airtight container you shouldn't have a problem putting them on a head of time. They could soften over time, but they aren't going to melt the instant you put them on the cake.

FBCT's are probably the ones I to the most often. I can work on them while the cake is baking and cooling and as soon as the cake is iced I can pop it on there. I've never waited until last minute to put them on, though they are my last minute decoration. I have put them on 24 hours before the cake was needed and never had any problems with them. Because is buttercream, once it is on the cake it acts like any other buttercream decoration.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 3

Oh gosh!!!! Im the one that has talked you all's head off, Texas Sugar should remember!!!
I can NOT work in choc...it gets dry so fast for me and I mess up....lol

I either use RI or FBT....working on a Justin Bieber cake due next week and having problems right now sizing the darn image!!!! it fills up a whole paper sheet....so ....STUCK!!!

Im doing it in FBT.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%