Liners Opening Up After Cooking

Baking By lstalder Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm by kristieanna

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 12

Several times I've made cupcakes, put them in tupperware container, kept in cool area and the next day when I took them out the cupcake liners were very loose and pulling away from the sides. I ended up taking serving the cupcakes without the wrappers. I used several different types of paper liners and it was a lemon cupcake batter. Any suggestions?

11 replies
feltphoto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feltphoto Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 12

I'd love to hear if there is a reason for this also. My mini cupcakes always open up and Thursday I baked a batch of chocolate in the Reynolds foil lined (which I hadn't had a problem with before) and most of them opened up also.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 12

It sounds like moisture was trapped in the container when you sealed it, making the liners come off.

feltphoto Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 12

My mini's come off when I take them out of the pan, before they are stored.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 12

Have you tried timing it differently? For example, if you leave them to completely cool in the pan, take them out when they're just cool enough to handle instead.

feltphoto Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 12

No, I haven't. I will do that next time.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:19am
post #7 of 12

I know for a fact that when you keep them in an air tight plastic container they are bound to come off, I keep mine in bakery boxes from brp box shop and I don't have that problem. When they are air tight all the moisture gets trapped causing them to peel away. I also suggest maybe the plastic containers from a grocery store the cupcake sit in those so the whole liner is secure, I get some plastic ones for like 33 cents at a grocery store.
Hope this helps

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:46am
post #8 of 12

The two big culprits for me for liners is first cheap liners. The Michaels Celebrate brand always come off. Second is if I let them cool in the pan, I get condensation and the liners pull away. I have a two tier cupcake carrier That is pretty airtight but doesn't cause the liners to pull away. I remove my cupcakes from the pan, cool completely decorate and place in the carrier. If I use Wilton or Reynolds liners I don't have a problem.

DebMcGee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebMcGee Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 12

That's interesting - I sometimes remove from pan straight away, other times, leave for 5mins before cooling - and get this - my latest batch had some perfect and some peeling away - why on earth would that happen???

I was thinking it could be the liners, but clearly can't be if some were ok.....

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 7:47pm
post #10 of 12

I shared your same experiences. My mistakes were spraying the liners with Bakers Joy and storing them in very air tight containers. Once I stopped doing these two things, there was a significant improvement. HTH

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 12

I've basically stopped answering this question because it comes up so many times.

It is either using cheap liners or underbaking. If you can open a package of liners and smell wax, they are going to peeel.

In my case I don't use those kind of liners. I get mine from the local restaurant supply store. I found mine peeled from underbaking. As the cupcake shrunk from underbaking after it came out of the oven, it would peel away. This can take hours for this happen too, often over night.

kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 12

This happens to me sometimes when I make minis!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%