Can I "paint" On A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By k_dub Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 1:35am by icer101

k_dub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_dub Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a Star Wars themed cake (the client is purchasing figures to place on the cake...the cake will be the backdrop for the figures) and it will be frosted in either black or very dark blue crusting buttercream. I want the cake to appear like a dark, star filled sky. Can I take silver luster, mix it with vodka and paint small dots on the buttercream to give the illusion of a starry night?

5 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know the answer to your question, but you could use little silver balls instead, that would be a lot quicker....

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #3 of 6

take a new toothbrush, dip in your vodka/luster mix and then rub the bristles with your thumb around the cake to splatter it. Did it for my Millenium Falcon grooms cake. Quick and easy.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 6

Good tip, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferkay

take a new toothbrush, dip in your vodka/luster mix and then rub the bristles with your thumb around the cake to splatter it. Did it for my Millenium Falcon grooms cake. Quick and easy.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:15am
post #5 of 6

i've never had a problem with painting onto buttercream. just make sure to let it air dry before touching. icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:35am
post #6 of 6

Hi, when i did a buzz lightyear , i used pixie dust and die the star twinkling effect. It was very pretty. I haven,t posted it yet. The client was please. I cut out some stars with fondant and placed them also , then the pixie dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%