Air Bubbles In Buttercream

Baking By Niki11784 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm by icer101

Niki11784 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! If you look at my cake here: you can see the buttercream is smooth, but there are airbubbles that give "pock marks" how do you get rid of that?

5 replies
cowie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 6

I had an issue with this once too when I first started out. I was told by my instructor that I likely mixed it too much with the mixer. Since being told this I am very careful not to mix too much or if I think I need to mix longer but am getting to that point of it's going to be too much, I take the bowl and fold the icing with a spatula. Never had an issue since. When I had this issue I tried to fix it by putting the icing in a bowl in the fridge. It seemed to help a little but I still had the bubble issue. Not sure if you can completely fix the issue once you have all the bubbles in there.

pandakakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6

It helps to not use the whisk attachment on a stand mixer. Use the paddle. And if you find that there are air bubbles after mixing, you can just use a large wooden spoon and press the spoon through the bc a bunch of times. Almost like you're mixing it up but trying to press out the air bubbles too. Somehow, that gets rid of most of the bubbles, and I always do that now.

Niki11784 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

Cool thanks. I do mix it alot- because it gets creamier. Once you have all your ingredients in the bowl- how long do you mix it for? I do use the paddle btw.

cowie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

I use the paddle one too. Never have used the whisk for icing.
Here is how I do it:
I put in the butter or shortening and extract of choice, mix it until it is nice and soft, then I add in some icing sugar and water/milk mix it a little then keep adding icing sugar and liquid until it is just mixed. Then I take the bowl off and hand mix it a little with a spatula to make sure it's all off the bottom and mixed in well. I found that if you got too many air bubbles it didn't matter what you did I couldn't get rid of all of them.

icer101 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, please look on youtube at sharon zambito making her icing, etc. It is a lot of help. Also , look at, this is edna from this site showing how she does her b/c and also some other videos. This is a lot of help also. Sharon has a great site. She has great dvd's also. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%