Air Bubbles In Buttercream

Baking By Niki11784 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm by icer101

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! If you look at my cake here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1972181 you can see the buttercream is smooth, but there are airbubbles that give "pock marks" how do you get rid of that?

5 replies
cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 6

I had an issue with this once too when I first started out. I was told by my instructor that I likely mixed it too much with the mixer. Since being told this I am very careful not to mix too much or if I think I need to mix longer but am getting to that point of it's going to be too much, I take the bowl and fold the icing with a spatula. Never had an issue since. When I had this issue I tried to fix it by putting the icing in a bowl in the fridge. It seemed to help a little but I still had the bubble issue. Not sure if you can completely fix the issue once you have all the bubbles in there.

pandakakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pandakakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6

It helps to not use the whisk attachment on a stand mixer. Use the paddle. And if you find that there are air bubbles after mixing, you can just use a large wooden spoon and press the spoon through the bc a bunch of times. Almost like you're mixing it up but trying to press out the air bubbles too. Somehow, that gets rid of most of the bubbles, and I always do that now.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

Cool thanks. I do mix it alot- because it gets creamier. Once you have all your ingredients in the bowl- how long do you mix it for? I do use the paddle btw.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

I use the paddle one too. Never have used the whisk for icing.
Here is how I do it:
I put in the butter or shortening and extract of choice, mix it until it is nice and soft, then I add in some icing sugar and water/milk mix it a little then keep adding icing sugar and liquid until it is just mixed. Then I take the bowl off and hand mix it a little with a spatula to make sure it's all off the bottom and mixed in well. I found that if you got too many air bubbles it didn't matter what you did I couldn't get rid of all of them.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, please look on youtube at sharon zambito making her icing, etc. It is a lot of help. Also , look at designmeacake.com, this is edna from this site showing how she does her b/c and also some other videos. This is a lot of help also. Sharon has a great site. She has great dvd's also. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%