Need A Cake Recipe For 3 And 4 Year Old Kids !!!

Baking By jem2131 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 6:35am by karabeal

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #1 of 9

Hello all.. So i am making a cake for a daycare.. It will be for 3 and 4 year old.. I will be applying fondant onto the cake so i need a cake that can hold the weight of the fondant.. I was thinking of a regular yellow cake with chocolate ganache as a filling.. I know many children either prefer vanilla or chocolate flavors soo im leaning towards that .. I'm not sure exactly what to do but any recipe ideas would be great.. Please please help..thanks

8 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:59am
post #2 of 9

I use the WASC recipe under the recipe tabs, and I always use fondant, have never had a problem. I like the WASC because you can tailor it to be any flavor using different liquids and extracts. Not sure if you were looking for something from scratch - the WASC uses a box mix as a base. HTH!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #3 of 9

This weekend I did a wasc dyed it 6 different colors for a rainbow effect, then sprinkled the top with about 3/4 cup of "Skittles" the skittles melt and the whole cake turns into a skittle flavored fruity fun cake. The kids were crazy about it not a crumb left.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:36am
post #4 of 9

i would go with a standard wasc cake with vanilla frosting. i'm always afraid that one of the kids is going to be allergic to chocolate or one of the ingredients i use, so when i make cakes for my daughter's class, i always ask if there are any allergies i should be aware of, i.e. milk or nuts. and i always try to avoid using red dye...i have noticed an uprising of people having this allergy, i myself am one. fondant should go over real well with the kids also. my 3 year old loves it when i have scraps of MMF while i make a cake. it's got that marshmallow-y flavor.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:51am
post #5 of 9

well if you work at the day care you know of allergies, right? i say make something fun, sorelle's cake idea sounded awesome! if not, maybe funfetti?

jem2131 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:12am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for the great ideas .. what exactly is a wasc ? Im a newbie sorry guys lol.. if you can fill me in on what exactly that stands for..

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:26am
post #7 of 9

sorry about that! a lot of cc regulars sometimes get so caught up in the lingo we don't stop to think about newbies! WASC stands for "White Almond Sour Cream" cake and is the most delicious white cake you'll ever make! its doctored, which means you start with a box cake mix (i always always use Duncan Hines) and "doctor" it by adding additional flour, sugar, and flavorings. the recipe is simple and very versitle. hth icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

jem2131 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:20am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_architect

sorry about that! a lot of cc regulars sometimes get so caught up in the lingo we don't stop to think about newbies! WASC stands for "White Almond Sour Cream" cake and is the most delicious white cake you'll ever make! its doctored, which means you start with a box cake mix (i always always use Duncan Hines) and "doctor" it by adding additional flour, sugar, and flavorings. the recipe is simple and very versitle. hth icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

That's ok ! Thanks for explaining it. The recipe sounds delicious ! I def will be baking this cake without the almond extract due to allergy rules. Thankss soo much you were all very helpful.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:35am
post #9 of 9

I love the Skittles idea. I've never heard of it before, but now I'm dying to try it! If that's not what the OP has in mind, I suggest the WASC recipe that you've been pointed to, but throw in some "jimmies" (the type of sprinkles that are elongated, like teeny tiny hot dogs) at the end of mixing the batter. That's how you get a funfetti effect. You can use one color or multi-color. (Or you can just use a box funfetti mix. I won't judge you. icon_wink.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%