How To Stack A Cake With Flowers Between Each Layer?

Decorating By momdalejr Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm by lutie

momdalejr Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:39am
post #1 of 9

Could you help me with stacking a cake with flowers in between each layer. I have seen a 4 tier cake with fresh flowers in between each layer.. Do you use small pillers... and what size pans... I was thinking 12, 10, 8 & 6. I should be able to feed 175 people... thank you icon_smile.gif

8 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:50am
post #2 of 9

I've done it 2 different ways, which one works better will depend on the type and size of the flowers and if you are going foe a floatinf tier look or not.

The first way is just using standard pillars & seperator plates, the advantage to this is if you use a plate on the bottom (flipped over) it offers protection to the cake from the flowers.

If you are looking foe a seamless look you can use 2-4" tall round foam dimmies in the center of each to support the cake above- this is a little less stable but has a great look.

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:03am
post #3 of 9

I used the wilton hidden pillars ( http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119F0-475A-BAC0-5772682F766C019C&killnav=1 ) on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1119353

It leaves about a 2" space and I just laid the flowers on top of the cakes, filling in the space.

lutie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I used the wilton hidden pillars ( http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119F0-475A-BAC0-5772682F766C019C&killnav=1 ) on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1119353

It leaves about a 2" space and I just laid the flowers on top of the cakes, filling in the space.




Gorgeous cake, indydebi...love your ribbon weaving...how did you do that?

conchita Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:37am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

I've done it 2 different ways, which one works better will depend on the type and size of the flowers and if you are going foe a floatinf tier look or not.

The first way is just using standard pillars & seperator plates, the advantage to this is if you use a plate on the bottom (flipped over) it offers protection to the cake from the flowers.

If you are looking foe a seamless look you can use 2-4" tall round foam dimmies in the center of each to support the cake above- this is a little less stable but has a great look.




Hello Amyscakes I just found this topic and I ask myself the same question
my question is do you use oasis with the 2-4" dummies? I am a little confuse
thanks thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Gorgeous cake, indydebi...love your ribbon weaving...how did you do that?


It was actually an idea from one of my brides. She said, "can you weave real ribbon in there?" I said, without hesitation, "SURE!" After she left, I was pacing and asking myself, "OMG how the hell am I going to weave ribbon in the icing!!!!!!!?" icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

When I get my laptop back from being repaired, I'll share some pics that are on my harddrive.

grandmomof1 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #7 of 9

I used hidden pillars on both of these cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1724405

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1696221

You will need more than 2 inches difference in each layer that is separated by the hidden pillars or it is so easy to pull the side of your cake out or noticeably crack it. I also layered parchment paper under mine to keep the flowers off the cake.

momdalejr Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 9

ty ty ty indydebi... that is what I was looking for but could not put my finger on it... thanks again...

lutie Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Gorgeous cake, indydebi...love your ribbon weaving...how did you do that?

It was actually an idea from one of my brides. She said, "can you weave real ribbon in there?" I said, without hesitation, "SURE!" After she left, I was pacing and asking myself, "OMG how the hell am I going to weave ribbon in the icing!!!!!!!?" icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

When I get my laptop back from being repaired, I'll share some pics that are on my harddrive.





Looking forward to seeing that...hope I don't miss it in the forums. So many times I say, "Sure...of course! Whatever you want!"...gets me in trouble every time, but seems to always work out in spite of me icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%