Dh- "honey, That Cake Looks A Little Uneven" .....

Decorating By HobbyCaker Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm by HobbyCaker

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 34

Me- So buy me and Agbay!

Please all of you that own one reply to this thread as to how great they are so that I can convince him it IS worth the money!

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

33 replies
Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 34

Besides my Kitchen Aid mixer, it is without a doubt the best tool I ever purchased! It used to take me forever to torte and level my cakes. I've used the (crappy) Wilton leveller, when that didn't work I used toothpicks and an electric knife. I hated this task!!

Now with the Agbay I can torte and level my cakes in practically seconds! I can't begin to tell you how much time and labour and peace of mind it will save you.

I love my Agbay! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 34

I don't have one, but after seeing it in action, I want one badly. One way of getting it, is to use the proceeds from your cake sells to purchase it. That's what i'm going to do. icon_lol.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 34

I'll add my voice to the chorus. I'm a hobby baker but I could NOT be happier with my Agbay. So quick & simple. Levelling & torting take no time at all and come out perfect.

SOOOOOOOO worth the money.

Kristy

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 34

Another hobby baker who LOVES her Agbay!!! Can't imagine torting a cake without it!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 34

I just got mine in October. I wasn't going to get one but decided to go ahead - I'm only a hobby baker for charities. Wow, it torts sooooo much better than my large Wilton leveler. It has a super clean cut and the adjustable blades are the best. I really recommend it.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 34

Diamonds may be a girls best friend......but and Agbay is a cake decorators best friend!

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 34

Hmmm, guess I should have spent the $$ on one of these instead of that stupid Cricuit darn it!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

It is one of the tools I can't do without! Not only can you level your cake, you can also level the icing on top. I add a bit extra icing on the top of my cake and with the leveler set at the correct height I run it through the icing. This takes off the excess and gives me a perfectly level, flat top. It is great for stacked cakes. If one of the tiers is a bit shorter then the extra icing on top will make all the tiers the same height. This may be a bit hard to explain, but it really is easy to do. I learned this from Linda McClures "Start to Finish" dvd. It has some great hints for cakes.

What a fantastic tip!!!!! I just ordered Linda's DVD! thumbs_up.gif Thanks again!!!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Diamonds may be a girls best friend......but and Agbay is a cake decorators best friend!

Love this! thumbs_up.gif

Currently saving for my airbrush, and then the Agbay! (my DH does all my torting, so he will be a happy man when we get it!)

HobbyCaker Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 34

Thank you all! I have let him read all of these post and he waivering! I am a hobbiest also, I work for a store as a decorator, but make cakes for family and friends from home. It is a big expense for someone who doesn't charge family and friends for cakes, but I still want them to be level, and I have been using that cheapo Wilton leveler for years, but hopefully there is an Agbay in my future, I love the tip on leveling your icing too, didn't know about that!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 34

I, too, am a hobbyist, but the Agbay has saved me HOURS of frustration trying to level with my stupid Wilton one, and fixing the uneven look of it afterwards. It literally takes me all of TWO MINUTES to torte and level all eight cakes involved in a four-tiered cake. My husband has a MUCH happier wife, and for much more time than he would have if I'd been stuck downstairs messing with an uneven cake. Go for it! icon_smile.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 34

OMG this is the first I've heard of the Agbay. Googled it and now I want one so badicon_cry.gif It's definitely on my list of "must haves".

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettooth622

Hmmm, guess I should have spent the $$ on one of these instead of that stupid Cricuit darn it!

I wish CC had a "like" button!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:16am
post #15 of 34

LOVE, LOVE, LLLLLOOOOVVVEEEE my Agbay!!! I'm just a hobby baker and seriously it's the best thing since sliced bread... of course... it's sliced cake! Absolutely worth every single penny!

SophisticatedSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophisticatedSweets Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #16 of 34

I had never heard of this until reading this, and now? I NEED ONE! I googled it and it was love at first site. icon_smile.gif

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 3:50am
post #17 of 34

I wish, I wish, I wish! I'm only a hobbyist baker, so my DH says it just isn't worth the money for an agbay. He did, however, follow the advice of someone who posted on another thread here at CC about going to the hardware store and getting a small saw blade that would fit my Wilton cake leveler, and it truly works a lot better than the original blade! But an agbay is apparently not in my future!!

kathybosc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathybosc Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:24am
post #18 of 34

I have owned my Agbay for about 8 years now, and it is one of the best investments I have ever made. The blade is just as sharp as when I first purchased it. I will definately try to level the icing top with it though. That is an excellent tip.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #19 of 34

The Agbay is one of the wisest purchase you can make in Cake World!

HobbyCaker Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 34

Thank you again for all the replies, I have heard so many war stories on the Wilton leveler, everytime I use the Large one with the blade, I end up cutting my fingers, and the smaller one with the wire is about useless unless it is a small cake. DH is 99% convinced. Might not get it right away, but I do believe it is going to be one of my future purchases.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

It is one of the tools I can't do without! Not only can you level your cake, you can also level the icing on top. I add a bit extra icing on the top of my cake and with the leveler set at the correct height I run it through the icing. This takes off the excess and gives me a perfectly level, flat top. It is great for stacked cakes. If one of the tiers is a bit shorter then the extra icing on top will make all the tiers the same height. This may be a bit hard to explain, but it really is easy to do. I learned this from Linda McClures "Start to Finish" dvd. It has some great hints for cakes.

OMG Bonnie.. you are awesome thumbs_up.gif . I'm purchasing my Agbay this week.. getting it shipped internationally! I was laying in bed last night all excited and stuff.. thinking about how great it's going to be, and I got to thinking "I wonder if I could use it to level off the ganache on top of my cakes".. because I sark still at getting a level coat on top lol. Awesome to hear you use it for this purpose too.. OMG I can't wait icon_biggrin.gif

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:07am
post #22 of 34
Quote:

AMEN!!!! Couldn't agree with you more!

cutiepiecupcake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:13am
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbaker

Quote:

AMEN!!!! Couldn't agree with you more!

icon_surprised.gif Noooo... really? I couldn't live without my cricut either. I've been lucky though, I have fluked it all the way since I purchased it.. I've only had one sheet of fondant go through and clump up on me.. but that was because I was lazy and didn't take care and roll it thinner lol. I use FondX with tylose powder.. roll it thin.. freeze it for 15mins.. have my pattern ready to cut.. load the sheet and cut it straight away. Works a treat.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:41am
post #24 of 34

Love, love, love my Agbay! I started with the one blade and quickly upgraded to the two blade version!

See my avatar? That cake was torted using an Agbay... Need I say more?

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #25 of 34

I'm not the only one in love with my Agbay in this house...my DH had this look in his eye when I was torting cakes last time that made me think that he'd LOVE to try his hand at it too.

Seriously, my husband was so awed by it, he couldn't believe just how quicker and easier it is for me to level my cakes.

Btw, thanks for the tip about leveling the icing! I probably won't ever get to take an official Linda McClure class, but I'll check out her DVDs.

HobbyCaker Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 2:21am
post #26 of 34

love2makecakes- Oh my, I'm sold! Your torting is a beautiful sight to see!

It's funny how things work out. I went in to decorate this afternoon at my P/T job and found out that I won $100 in the store employee give-away. That is a good chunk towards my new toy! Yipee!!!

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:36pm
post #27 of 34

i love my agbay. and my level i bought at home depot.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:48pm
post #28 of 34

Couldn't live without my Agbay. Great investment even for a hobby baker. I too am going to try the icing trickicon_smile.gif

cutiepiecupcake Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:01am
post #29 of 34

OMG sooooooooo excited.. my Agbay is on its way.. but sssssssshhhhhh shhh.gif .. DH is in the dark on this one icon_surprised.gif I know.. I know.. rather sneaky and naughty! But I justify it with all my hard work I accomplished at a country fair over the weekend.. I went one whole night without sleep and smashed over 6 flavours of cupcakes (over 100 in all) a two tier raffle cake, a wedding cupcake tower, and managed to stay awake the next day and sold every single one of them! I earnt well and truely enough $$ to pay for my new toy.. so I say I have earnt the right to play with it icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:29am
post #30 of 34

I must have gotten a good blade on mine, but my large Wilton leveler works perfectly. I am the first person to go out and buy a top of the line tool, but I don't get it. I can understand if it tore up the cake, but it cuts just fine. I torte almost all of my cakes, sometimes twice, but have not had a problem. Can someone explain the advantages of an agbay?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%