Strawberry Filling

Baking By mom_oxo Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm by amyoungbl00d5

mom_oxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_oxo Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone have a good strawberry filling recipe that I can freeze? It is for a wedding cake.
Thanks.

5 replies
Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 6

Strawberries don't thaw very well. Pretty much any filling you use will leach a LOT of water when it thaws. I wouldn't do anything with fresh strawberries for the freezer. Maybe a ribbon of strawberry jam that has already been cooked.

icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

HI, this is a good read also.. the last person that posted is a great decorator and knows a lot about dos and don,ts when it comes to cakes. hth

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6807777&sid=60a1e9006ca89511ae4821caffcd0b45

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_Rose

Strawberries don't thaw very well. Pretty much any filling you use will leach a LOT of water when it thaws. I wouldn't do anything with fresh strawberries for the freezer. Maybe a ribbon of strawberry jam that has already been cooked.

icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

I use jams all the time for filling. If I need to freeze the cake, I first put a thin layer of buttercream, then a thin layer of the jam. Sometimes I mix a little jam into buttercream for the filling--pretty and yummy.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

I use a traditional buttercream
1 stick butter
2 lbs of powdered sugar
1 10oz jar of jam

I heat the jam in the microwave until it's smooth and then I mix the butter and sugar together. I may not use the entire bag of PS but I use a good amount. Then I add in the jam to taste and sugar to thickness.

I made this recipe with fresh strawberries for years but it weeps at room temp. The jam makes a very stable filling and with the butter it should freeze with no problem.

I have used it for icing as well.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 6

I use a really good strawberry preserve and add a tsp or so of orange liquor add a bit if lemon and orange zest. it freezes fine! good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%